ROBBYRAZ

Nov 17, 2001
Anybody have any advice on how to go about polishing my rear swingarm? I just
got it sandblased should i send it out or can it be done at home any info is much appreciated.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Here's some advice, don't do it. Unless you've got PLENTY of time on your hands and a couple of spare elbows just laying around its not worth it, IMHO. Many folks on the board have done it and said that they wouldn't do it again. Besides, if you get it too shiny it makes every little scratch show up like a scar from major surgery. Just keep it clean. My $0.02.

stasky

Apr 4, 2002
its easy get a detail sander and start with rough stuff working down to fine stuff then polish with autosol or flitz with a rag i achieved a mirror finish then apply 4 or 5 coats of spray acrylic varnish available at any car accesory shop to protect shouldent blast alloy though easier to use paint stripper + sander

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Ive polished everything on my bike except the motor. And i did it myself and i am so happy. It does take a long time. I used paint stripper ,then sanded ,then polished with a few power tools. I would not do this again to my other bikes. God it takes to long and this is the wrong time to do that stuff unless your waiting for your clyinder to be done(hehe like i am)!!!! My bike looks 100 percent better though.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
i painted mine w/4 coats of high temp silver( i had extra)
IT LOOKS AWESOME!!! it's like a metallic chrome---when its clean-----
very uniqely cool!

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
As with a few others, I also have polished the swing arm. Looks great and easy to keep clean. Used a finish sander to remove old paint and continued on using finer paper. Finished with super-fine by hand and then steel wool. I only did the outside because that's all that really shows. This was much, much easier than the forks. I didn't spray it with anything so I can hit it again anytime to remove small scratches, etc. For pics, click on "My Gallery" below.

Do it when you have the swing arm (or forks) off anyway, like packing bearings! Or new springs! etc.!! ;) ;)

Go for it....... :)

ROBBYRAZ

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks you guys!! My bike is completly torn apart im getting the frame
powder coated black, just got my topend back from E.G.(225 kit) Im sending the
motor to sage for matching cases etc. Ive got nothing but time Ill post pics when im done THANKS , ROB

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Sounds nice! Just curious Rob, it seems like you have lots of money and time on your hand, did you consider getting your swingarm anodized?

ROBBYRAZ

Nov 17, 2001
Well I do have lots of time on my handsand all my money seems to be going to my upcoming wedding. Actually im getting a really good deal on the powder coating
$100 for prep and finish. I was wondering about anodizing any ideas about how
much that might cost??

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I wire-wheeled mine, then used MOthers mag and aluminum polish, looks WICKED PISSA, dude.
It'll cost ya like 4 bucks too! :o

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
If you paint the swing arm, Use as many coats as possible.
It is much easier to remove scraches w/ light buffing
If you want a truely professional look [smooth high gloss shine ] you may want to primer and wet sand, and repete w/ 1200+ grit And then wet sand paint 1500+ grit ( not really for amatures, But you said you had time on your hands!?)

get your fiance' into dirt bikes, and you'll have a perfect marrage

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
get your fiance' into dirt bikes, and you'll have a perfect marrage [/B][/QUOTE]
let it be known my relationship advice is'nt worth a ****

Top Bottom