polishing wheel rims?

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
Hi I just bought a 96 KDX 200 and I guess 96 was a big purple year. I really don't like the color and the bike has purple excel rims along with purple rad. shrouds and gastank.
I was wondering if polishing the rims would be ok and what is the best way of doing it. I also heard you can some how die the plastic a different color. Thanks for the help

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yea i have a 96' too and i hate the purple. I finally got it all off there It might be easier with all that purple to start over. Buy new plastic, I used a permanent marker for my tank. Somebody said they could wipe it off on here but i tryed to wipe mine, and i couldnt get the black to buge. it works great. Buy new shrouds and fenders. as far as your purple rims. I have black excel rims on my 96' and i dont think its gonna be easy to get that purple to disapear. I wouldnt know where to start. Its gonna be hard to get rid of the gay graphics the bike comes with cause all the kdx graphics ive seen have terrible color schemes. Im making my own.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
The purple on the aluminum rims is caused by dye that was applied during the application of the protective anodizing treatment. I believe that if you remove the purple, you will have removed most of the corrosion resistant anodizing also. (FYI Aluminum naturally forms an oxide coating when it is exposed to air. The oxide has good corrosion resistance. Anodizing greatly enhances that oxide and also hardens the surface to improve its scratch resistance.) I think even the aluminum colored rims have a clear anodizing.

Some possiblities: Lightly sand (600 grit) and then polish the rims and see how it goes. I wouldn't go near salt water and stay out of barnyards. Salt, ammonia (urine) and other waste products can wreak even anodized aluminum.
Polish them and have someone anodize them. But this requires removing the spokes and relacing the wheel. Doable, but time consuming.
Replace the rims with new or used ones of the color you want; black, gold, aluminum. (I have a bent gold 21". I don't think you can straighten it. It is out of round and out of plane.)

Good Luck. I hope you can get rid of those ....what should I call them? not faggy, nor femmy, maybe Frenchy?...just ugly, purple rims. Thanks for trying to improve our environment.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
the anodizing can be removed by etching the rims. but in order to etch the rims all the steel will have to be off the rim---so bearing, spokes(if they are steel), etc. must be removed. Then you can have the rims anodzided clear. By the way my company does anodizing. you can see a few examples at www.twhenterprises.com

majick

Mar 14, 2003
I polished the rims on my street bike , start by taking off the coating with 400 600 grit and work your way down to 1000 or finer the take some mothers alum polish and buff the rims , but now you have to clean and polish them all the time or they will get all crappy lookin , oh by the way ,It is a very time consuming process , new or different rims are a better bet.

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
This sucks I guess I will just get the new plastic rad shrouds,gas tank and rims it going to cost like a $1000 now I am really starting to hate PURPLE!!!!!!!!

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
O ya the bike has purple Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards does any one know how to replace the plastic on it with another color. I heard in some parts of the world you can get shot dead for wearing purple I hope I am safe at the mx track.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Hmmmmm, And I want to change my bikes ugly blue parts to "Purple!"
I'd like to do my frame in purple as well!

Wibby

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think purple is cool as long as it is not mixed in with that ugly green color everbody else has. Be unique, go with mud brown on your bike. Just go lay her over in a pig pen and there u have it, custom colors made easy. Plus as an added benefit, it makes a great theft detterent system.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Wibby, I just got a used purple tool bag, purple fork boots and a purple seat cover. If you have a blue bag and fork boots, I'd swap with you and throw in the seat cover.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Unfortunately my bike does not have a bag, previous owner discarded it along with a few other items. :-(

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
Has anyone tryed the one industries KdX graphics it looks like the cover the top the tank does anyone have some better pics of them. Thanks

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Check e-bay for graphic kits. The ones on there look better than anything I've seen in magazines. Also, the complete kits are usually less than $25. You can get a kit that says "KDX", or a kit that looks exactly like the '03 kit which says "Kawasaki". I bought the 03' kit and it is excellent!

If you order aftermarket graphics, I would get UFO or Acerbis (Maier is awful in my opinion- It doesn't fit right and the green looks dull and faded)

PS Purple isn't so bad- At least it's not pink!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I just checked and there is a green KDX tank on e-bay that looks good. Check it out, it might be exactly what you are looking for at a great price.
E-bay auction # 2408272297 / Happy Bidding & Good Luck!

jc

Sep 22, 2001
To get the purple anodizing off try easy off oven cleaner. It worked on my bmx rims many years ago. Color should just slide off. You will have to polish them after because it can "cloud" up the alum. if the oven cleaner sits too long. If the rim is warm it works better.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
Line the bike up with the biggest nastiest of a mudhole and give it the juice. My Kdx has been mud brown/black/tan for years. Hey it matches my riding gear too!

Why are all the bugs around my bike?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…