powder coating

wizard69

May 3, 2001
hey I was wondering what you can powdercoat on a bike with out messing anything up.I am getting a rack done and anything I can fit on it gets painted too so anything you can think of.I wish I could do the cylinder but I can't for cooling issues,all I can think of now is the frame and rims anybody have any ideas?thatnx

wizard69

May 3, 2001
is powdercoating your swing arm reversable?I would do my swing arm but if I didn't like it I would want to take it off.(amount of work doesn't matter )I was just wondering if it would stain the metal or weaken it

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
It won't weaken it. It gets baked for about 20 min at under 300 deg, that's the most stress the process will put on the part.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If you powder coat the frame don't forget to do all the brackets too. Engine cases and metal covers are good suspects.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
would powdercoating my swingarm be durable enough or would it start chipping in a few rides?do you sandblast aluminum before coating.the only sandblaster I have access to is an industrial one would that be bad?
thanx

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Powdercoating can be removed with paint remover.

I had a suzuki frame coated a year or so ago. The "masking" came off of the steering head area. The bearing races were covered! It was impossible to scrape off.

I used some paint remover and it came right off. No visible problems with the metal.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
engine cases wouldn't I have to strip alot to do them?

Yup. The engine would have to be bare.

Powdercoating can be removed with paint remover.

Paint remover didn't budge powder coating that I've encountered. But gasket remover did work on some. Sandblasting certainly removes it as does a dip in a chrome removal tank.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I am not sure the powder is the actual tough part of this finish. Mine was coated twice over the powder with a clear epoxy. Paint remover ate it right off. I am sur eothers may use a different process.

KrackerRacin

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 5, 2002
powdercoating is very hard to get off it is more then 10X stronger than paint and depending on who does it is is cooked sometimes at 800 Degrees

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
You don't want to use a "sandblaster" on your aluminum swing arm or subframe - it will pit the metal real bad. You want to blast it with aluminum oxide. Trust me, you can see the pitting in my subframe through my powdercoat job. I should have let the powdercoat shop strip it for me but I was in a hurry.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by wizard69
I was wondering what you can powdercoat on a bike with out messing anything up.
Frame
Sub-frame
Swing arm
Hubs
Chain Guard
Pegs
Linkage
Shock body
Upper fork tubes
Triple clamps
Bar mounts
Motor mount brackets
Frame Guards (if metal)
Rad braces

Some of these parts are better suited for anodizing but can be powder coated.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Wouldn't this add excess weight though? Seems the factory teams try to apply as little paint as possible (bare metal swingarms etc) to keep the bike light.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
If my skill level ever gets to that of a factory rider maybe I'll be able to tell if a pound or two were added/removed from my bike. Guess I'll never know the feeling. :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…