POWER JET how does this work?

hallsy

Dec 19, 2005
Can someone explain how or when the power jet on my 03 YZ 250 works? In a diagram the manual indicates this jet can have an effect from fully closed to 1/2 throttle, but notes: that it closes at 8,500 rpm. Then states "the richness of air-fuel mixture under 8,500 rpm to the extent of 1/2 to full opened throttle can be set by changeing the power jet". I'm so confused please help.

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Ok my KX has one. I'll try to explain. It is a fuel circuit that is controled by the ignition system, when there is power to the powerjet it is closed leaning out the jetting for more overrev, when there is no power to the powerjet it is open and fuel flows through the circuit making it richer for a stronger midrange. The ignition uses the RPM and the throttle position sensorto control the opening and closing of the powerjet solenoid. If you unplug the power jet solenoid the bike will be rich at high RPM but should run good everywhere else. Hope this helps. Ed

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
really good invention to help throttle responce

hallsy

Dec 19, 2005
Ok, then is the solenoid simply open from idle to 8,500 rpm? or does the throttle position sensor dictate when the solenoid opens, say like at 1/4 throttle or what?

hallsy

Dec 19, 2005
With that information I'm assuming the power jet adds fuel only when there is a load placed on the motor and below 8,500 rpm?

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Pretty much yes but it adds fuel by being turned off, no electrical power to it, then a around 8500 power is sent to it closing the fuel off. The idea is to get a strong midrange with a good overrun.

Top Bottom