Power reeds vs torque reeds

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i'm new to the 2-stroke world, and haven't fully grasped the whole reed concept. I have notice that there are Power reeds and Torque reeds available. Is there a difference and if so how do you know what you need. I mean, i need more power and torque and since torque is a measure of work and power is a measure of work....well ****, you see how a newbie might be confused?!!!

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
canyncarvr is the one to talk to about this.He knows the deal on it all.
You can try and do a search on this topic and I'm sure there will be some info.
I run the power reeds.Haven't had a problem and they seem to last a while.
Do you have a pipe on your bike?
If so what type as there are different pipes available that can increase your torque.FMF, Pro Circuit.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
no pipe as of yet, haven't had bike very long. But would like to get right combo of pipe, reed, jet, etc. (just like everyone else, eh?!)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
. But would like to get right combo of pipe, reed, jet, etc. (just like everyone else, eh?!)

That sums it up pretty well.

Just like a choice of pipe (-30 rev or -35 torque in the FmF line), choice of reed should 'fit' what the intended use is of the bike.

Reeds will vary in composition..stainless steel, fiberglass, carbon and such. Each one of those compositions has its own characteristic flex, tension and lifespan.

Boyesen power reeds (fiberglass) are generally a good pick if you're just looking for a reed to stick on your oem cage. They last pretty good (yearly replacement isn't a bad idea for reeds of any construction if you ride regularly..carbon moreso than fiberglass), and give a good balance of stiffness (important on the top end rev range) and compliance (good for low end).

IMO ALERT...IMO ALERT...
The COOL setup (Dazza uses 'em) is the MotoTassinari DeltaForceII valve which comes with carbon reeds. They are adjustable for low/hi tension which corresponds to better low-end/hi-end response. You have a bit more 'tuning' you can do with the DFII valve. Besides, the petal area being HUGELY increased, other improvements in the tassinari product make it an excellent choice if your looking to replace your oem reed cage. A radvalve (boyesen) is a waste of money in this regard. I've used both..ridden with another kdx 200 modified exactly like mine with the exception of the reed cage..the difference is stark!

If you want bottom end response..use the boyesen power (607 I think?) reeds. If you are screaming at the top end of things more often, use carbon. If you're looking to replace your whole setup..get the DFII. Note it's GOT TO BE a 'II'. The original DeltaForce is NOT the same deal.

And...nah...I certainly DON'T know 'the deal' on it all...I just have an opinion having used a few different setups...for MY particular application. That is normally tight, single track stuff. Hardly ever use the higher gears..well, unless I'm trying to stomp on my riding buddy's exe!! And, yes...I do about 50% of the time!! (well...last time out, anyway. I think he had the flu or something!! ;) )

Last edited:

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks for the advice...i think i will try the boyesen power reeds, i'm looking for the low end. that usually where i stay. i'm not a pro-racer. just built my own track and have quite a few trails in woods. like to ride with my kids and show em pop can still hang.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
your doing good by looking into all this first before going out and buying stuff, when i got my pipe/reeds, i didnt know you could choose rev or torque..still best low end mod i made was an 11 tooth front sprocket to get the revs up earlier. do yourself a cool favor and get eric gorrs book on performance ( i was very impressed with it) and a clymer manual,, that will help you get started well im the 2 stroke world.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
sorry for not posting my ride...it's an 87 KDX200

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
ZKDX, the reason you are confused about torque and power is probably because the term "torque" is often used as shorthand for "torque low in the rev range". In reality, torque is everywhere in the rev range, often more of it up high than down low, but it is purely an expression of raw turning force with no consideration to revs or time.

Power, on the other hand, is a function of both torque and time. It's a way of saying how much work is done in how much time. This is why "power" is used in a shorthand way to refer to "power up high in the rev range", because even though you have power down low too, it is torque x revs that make power.

So what you wind up with is the sensation of power up high, and, in the absence of much power, naked torque down low. Thus the shorthand jargon.

Just to confuse it all further, I was under the impression that the carbon "power" reeds were more compliant and actually boosted the off-idle response down low... to make more "torque"....

justin-r

Sep 3, 2002
Hi all,
I am new to both the group and to KDXs, (1996 KDX200). I too am looking into possibaly changing reeds. canyncarvr
it looks like we do the same kind of riding, tight single trak, so I am interested in your opinions! Here is what I am considering, a FMF kg-35 torque pipe and the Delta force II reed cage. How much difference do you think it will make in the low end? Should I also consider a 50 tooth rear?

Justin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jason...now why would you 'guess' at '87? I DID realize he didn't say..just thought the post in this forum at least meant it was for kdx, ...just kinda assumed the newer part.

Caught misstepping again!! :( I didn't look on the MT site re: '87 models. )

Justin: (lessee...YEP!! it's a '96!!) re: how much difference.

A lot. I have a -30 and -35 (rev/torque) pipes. I change 'em based on what I want to do. If I had to pick only one...I'd use the -35 (torque).

re: should you consider.....

Do some searches on gearing, '50 tooth' and such. Opinions vary. I prefer dropping a tooth on the CSS. Eaiser to change, cheaper...use the stock 108 link chain and such.

Give a 12T sprocket a try. If you hate it, you can change it back in a couple minutes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom