power valve Q's

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
I just finished putting together my bikes top end and remembered reading in my manual about cleaning the exhaust power valve( I think it's called KIPS) anyway, I took off the cover, saw a black greasy mess of what looked like burnt oil but had no strong smell, and put the cover back on. I decided to seek out some more information. I plan on buying a service manual but since I'd like to be riding by this weekend I'm hoping to get some fast information on here. Is the job as simple as disassembling it, cleaning it, and putting it back together the way it came apart? or am I going to have to re-time it for the correct RPM to open? Is it REALLY involved or simple like a carburator? What should I use to lubricate everything once I put it all back together? Thanks alot for any information. I havn't been riding in 4 months so I need to get this together or you may be reading about me in Sunday's paper........... (the bike's a 2003 kx 125 btw)

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I clean mine regularly, and it's a good thing to do. It's very simple, like you said, take it apart, clean, and put back together. When you put it back to gether be sure to lube the valve really well and make sure they aren't sticking and slide very easily. I just had a valve stick after a cleaning and it broke apart and the piston nailed it a few times.

KDeanX

Jan 27, 2005
Do you have take off the cylinder to clean the power valve? Sorry I'm not much help I've never done it myself.
-Dean

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Not too sure on the KX, but I can do it on my RM. It's a little difficult to get the cover off the valves while the cylinder is still on, but it's possible. You should only have to clean the valves when you rebuild the top end, and you'll already have the cylinder off for this.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…