blacknight31k

Jan 12, 2005
OK here we go, A friend of min has an 02 kx500 that he bought used. The bike had run fine except that i had not personally rode it to know for sure. After he got the bike home and rode it a few times he told me about it. He wanted to check it out, so we did. He already had the bike in peices to check bolts and a good cleaning. He told me the bike had never been tore down. So i advised him to do so since it was a couple years old. So i tore the top end down to find a chiped piston and cracked top ring. The ring scared the cylinder so bad had to be replaced. Got a hole new top end kit and replaced cylinder. The kawasiaki put the power valve in, so i know it was put in right. We put it back together and started bike, to start brk in procedure,

started off with a 40:1 mix of blenzall
plug br8es

Everything seemed to be fine after the break in he started to hit powerband and to find it stumbling in 1 and 2 gear but 3-6 bike ran awsome. TO me the throtle seems to be a bit slugish.

We talked to the old owner and from what i could tell he didnt want to tell us much about the bike. and what he had already tod my friend about the maintenance i knew he was lieing.

Any Help

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
a bike doesn't know what gear its in.

sounds like you are saying at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle the bike stumbles but from 1/2 to wide open its fine?

If I'm correct in this assumption, let me know, you need to adjust jetting. How is the silencer? lack of maintence might mean its time to repack....hey the packing is $8, might as well do it.

blacknight31k

Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for the reply
and u are correct i just forgot to put that part in there, hehe. I just tore the silencer apart to inspect it today, looked alright, but as u say might as well replace it since i have it apart. I have to wait till tomarrow since it was already after 6pm and parts was closed for the day.

But i did find that after refering to the manual, and going over trouble-shooting guide i inspected timming plate and found the screws were loose and timming plate was loose. So a little thread loc and wal-la bike is like a rocket now.

Top Bottom