wristtwist

Mar 8, 2002
Just got some xr400 springs to try. Went to install them and measure for preload spacers. Springs in and cap on I have about 1mm space. I expected more. So I cut some 10mm spacers out of sched 40 pvc. Others of use these springs did your springs pretty much go all the way to top cap? What do you run for preload? I figure with the 2 locating pieces I have about 12mm preload now. I guess I was used to the stock metal spacer but damn 10mm is not much at all. Barely even compresses spring. Any insight appreciated. What about your oil level? I set mine at 100mm using Spectro 7.5 wt.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I don't think I can be of much help with the spacers, except to say that mine are somewhere close to 2 inches. I measured them last time the forks were apart, but don't remember.
As for oil level: I've messed with it somewhat to fight bottoming. What worked best for me so far was 130mm. I tried 100mm, and the forks got so harsh, that I literally thought they were bottoming, but they weren't. With 130mm, the bottoming stopped, and I have not bottomed the forks since. This is with Gold Valves installed. I don't know if that matters though. BTW, I was bottoming them off a jump with about 10ft air, and pretty much a flat landing, under power. So it was a lot of force. Hope this helps some.

Jeremy
oh, and I use 5wt oil, but may try going to ATF in a couple months. I'd like to know how you like it.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Hmmmm

Well, I followed this post from the main page so I didn't know it was in the KDX forum. So, I guess my info wouldn't help much then, huh?;)

Jeremy

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
uh-oh

my post disappeared....:ugg:

Won't say it all over again, but:
re: 1mm left over.

Yep.

re: 12mm preload

Don't need that much

re: OEM spacers

Ridiculous

re: why 470mm (oem) springs?

I did get a couple of responses from mr. fredette and mr. wilkey. I'll expand on 'em it you like.

I use 'em cuz I tried the others, the XR springs are way 'moh-better'!!

re: 100mm

Too high

re: oil

Jeremy recs mobil1ATF. It's 5wt. With 7.5@100, things are going to be hard!

Top Bottom