Premix?????????/

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
why is it that essentially most people us 32:1,40:1 & 50:1 ratios..............is this a industry standard.......what about 38:1 or 42:1 and so on, I understand rich and lean and all that stuff just interested to see why these figures are used. :think:

and remember RIDE HARD OR RIDE HOME :worship:

Mac

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Most people, including myself use a ratio rite mixing cup to measure their premix. And those are some of the ratio's given on it. There is no problem with 42:1 or 48:1 or 30:1, but those are not given on that famous device.

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
This is a well kept industrial secret! What...? Next you'll want to find out what caused the hole in the ozone layer? :eek:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
A pint of oil to 4 gallon of gas is 32:1. A pint of oil to 5 gallon of gas is 40:1. We just tend to go with whole numbers!!! Nothing wrong with being a tweener!!! 4.7 gallon of gas to 1.1 pints of oil will give you 34.18:1. That'll work too!!!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Just like speed averages in an Enduro............... :laugh:

Mully

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
so no one really knows then, measuring cup with mixing ratios!!!! how lazy is that, what happened to working stuff out in ya head............arrrrrrr to much 2 stroke sniffing I think.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm 2 stroke smoke....mmmm. I'll stick with 32:1 if it ain't broke don't fix it I always say, or maybe ill try 33.55:1.... :nener:

HAPPY TRAILS
MAC :yeehaw:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
OK guys think back when you were children and I started riding--Oil came in quarts, yes even two stroke oil! Remember Full Bore? A gallon is 128 oz and 4oz per gallon is 32 to 1. So most of us hillbillys could pour half a quart of oil (16 oz) into 4 gallons of gasoline without a ratio right and be spot on with 32 to 1.
Today I do not use anything but an ounce measure to mix. I don't trust those fancy ratio monsters!
Whatever ratio you run always put the oil in the tank before the gasoline and the odds are increased very much that you will not ruin an engine from lack of lubrication. Force of most gasoline pumps will usually mix it well too.
Cheers John

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I just buy the Mobil mx2t full synthetic in the 16 oz container. One of those in a 5 gallon jug of gas and I'm at 40:1. Piece of cake!!! mx2t's supposed to leave the kips nice and clean too!!!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Tom L, that's what I do too....and with the same oil. It does leave the KIPS pretty clean also.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…