NathanA

Oct 2, 2004
I've decided to buy a pressure washer and have been looking around a bit. I know alot of you prefer to wash your bikes by hand, but I hate doing it that way. For the last 3 yrs I've been washing at the car wash anyway. The easiest way for me to get one is through Lowes or HD. At first I thought I would buy a 2600psi x 2.5gpm = 6500 cu, but now I think this might be a bit much for the bike. I used my friends excell (sold at HD) 2300psi unit the other day to wash the YZ and it seemed like a lot of pressure. The unit I've got my eye on is the 2200psi, 2.2gpm Troy Bilt. From there, they go up to 2500-2550psi. I don't doubt that 2200 will clean my bike, but was wondering if it would be strong enough to handle driveways, fences, etc. in a reasonable amount of time. Since I'm going to lay down about $300-400 for one I'd like to know that I can use it for whatever tasks may come up. Do any of you have any experience with the excell or troy bilt brands? Any thoughts on what pressure is enough or too much?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my 2600 does a nice job on everything i throw at it . cement is a toughie however since i used a buddies $1000 , 3700 psi machine the 2600 seems slow on the cement but for 600$ ill borrow or rent if a large cement project comes up .

my HD 2600 rocks for bikewash,

no matter what you do ............get the one with the honda motor!!!!

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
buy the bigger one and just don't use it at full throttle that way it will last longer and you will have that extra pressure when needed for other tasks

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
ive been washing my bikes with a 1800psi for 7-8 years i use it for everything from washing down the house walls to washing down my car motor its just a pain to drag out of the shed every weekend :| it also does a fantastic job on taking those warning stickers off new bikes :cool:

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
just get the biggest you can afford, they usually come with different nozzles for different task and the pressure is almost always adjustable.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I bought a $200 2000 PSI pressure washer from Walmart. Works great and doesn't have too much pressure, but enough to get the mud off.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ellandoh said:
no matter what you do ............get the one with the honda motor!!!!

i dont say this because i ride red but because i have had good results with their small engine devices. also i know a guy who runs a power washing business and abuses them badly. none of his washers have had an oil change air filters nothing, he leaves them in the shed over winter which is not good for a PW that still has water in it. and with the old gas in them they all run on the 1st or 2nd pull every spring.....he knows hes an abuser of them and recommended the honda powered to me :)

metrickkruzer

May 14, 2005
Remember that the pressure is adjustable on mosts spray wands! Honda powered pressure washers are very good. Go with the 2800 psi or more,..you will not be sorry!

NathanA

Oct 2, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I keep hearing good things about the honda motor. Think I will end up with one. I'm just looking forward to not going to the car wash again!

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
I have been looking at them but my dad bought one that will completely clean the bike in 5min . ( i mean the thin layer of dirt on the rear sprocket and spokes that you almost always have to use a rag for) It is a HONDA ENGINE with cat pump. A Cat pump is what you need to get the job done and to last. We bought it onsale at hd for 500 i think. Its worth everypenny If you by one, and you want it to last you must have a cat pump and i recommend a honda engine. That pressure washer will clean anything even the bottom of our pool ( we get in with the wand and it cleans amazingly) just becareful of gaskets and bearings because ittl wear them out. ( my owners manual shows where not to spray........ PS. dont trottle it that will cause a part to wearout in the wand but you can uce a wider nozzle thus spreading out the force.. presure is everyhting gpm is important to multiply gpm x psi the higher the number the stronger the cleaning power.... Ours is 2800psi X 3gpm= 8400

chalie

Apr 13, 2005
I own an electric powerwasher at about 2800psi. The secret to getting a clean car or bike and getting all the old greese and greesy sand off it, is that i ran an extra water line to my garage using hot water. Now i have a hose bib for the garden (cold) and one for my pressure washer.(hot) The hot water won't hurt any thing at all. Works GREAT!!!

P.S. For all you canadians wanting to do this. DO NOT PUT HOT WATER ON YOUR CAR's GLASS IN THE FREEZING COLD WINTER!!! POP! I've never had a problem, but i've heard warnings. I wash around the glass in the winter and windex em.

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
that wouldnt be the best idea from the high pressure washers i have seen the motor keeps cool from the cold water and your using hot water? :ahhh:
any good high pressure washer will degrease anything i bought a husky 250 and it looks like it has had the same chain for the past few years full chunks of grease/soil/sand etc... my 1800psi blew it off

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom