pressure washers-vs-dirtbikes

Too-Stroked

Mod Ban
May 27, 2006
So Ive Replaced Both Front Fork Seals And My Rear Shock This Summer,the Bike Is A Stock '98 Cr250-what Is Your Experiance With Pressure Washers And Bikes-no One Ive Met Can Agree With The Next Guy-i Went To "m.m.i."(rip-off) And The Instructors Didnt Agree With Each-other Either-my Pressure Washer Is 1250 Psi-when Commenting Please Give Psi And What Problems It May Have Caused If Any...in My Opinon,i Think It Caused The Problems.but I Dont Want A Rusty Rotten Dirt Bike Either-

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
2600psi, no problems , use the right tip at the right distance, use air compressor to dry some spots that tend to hold in moisture thats about it :cool:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
You could have asked me in your other thread, as I'm the one who said they are a no-no for motorcycles. (or worst nightmare)

Ask most any M/C mechanic or savy racer (well, the ones that keep a bike more than a season) and they will tell you that pressure washing is a bad thing for your m/c. Why?

Yeah sure it gets the grunge off in a hurry and you look good going down the road with your scoot all clean in the back of your truck and all, but when you pressure wash you force water into many...and I mean many undesirable locations. Pressure washers penetrate seals, and force water in. You will go through wheel bearings at an alarming rate doing the pressure wash thing, Steering head bearings too. Anywhere there is a seal, and you blast it with a pressure washer, you'll get water in there.

FWIW, my routine is to plug the silencer, hose the bike, soap it up, scrub with a good brush, hose it off, ride bike dragging the brakes to dry, and fling water off the chain. Then a vigorous blow dry that doesn't force water in, but away from seals and bearings. And then spritz the chain. Done...and a happy bike and rider. Just say no to pressure washing your bike. Your bike will treat you better. (Which equals less get offs!)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my bike is an 03, no water in my seals?? original bearings almoswt everywhere

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You can pressure wash a bike with no problems, just do it right. Go ahead and blast the solid parts like wheels (not hubs), fenders, seat, swing arm, etc. When you need to rinse the more sensitive area's like hubs/linkage/fork seals adjust the nozzle and step back a ways so you are simply rinsing them, not blasting pressurized water into them.

I've pressure washed my bike many times (although I usually use a hose, since that's what I have at home). I also have friend's that own power washers and use them all the time on their bikes. Use a little smarts on where to spray and where not to spray and you won't have any trouble.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
dezryder said:
Ask most any M/C mechanic or savy racer (well, the ones that keep a bike more than a season) and they will tell you that pressure washing is a bad thing for your m/c.

Ever been to an AMA National race? After every practice, moto, parade lap...the bikes get pressure washed - usually by the mechanic.

Just be smart about where the wand is pointed and the spray pattern. Use a very wide pattern and don't bear-down on the bearings and seals. Hit the graphics at a 90 degree angle, otherwise they will be on the ground.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006

been doing it for years....put the broadest (sp?) tip on there and do it...

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The wheel bearings on my Kaw (and probably most other bikes) have a hard plastic cover. I think you'd really have to try and get water in past that cover and then the seal.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
however you do it try to get someone else to do it for you

1.girlfriend
2.someone who owes you money
3.someone the bet you they would "smoke" you at the races <------only if they didn't
4.your kids
5.someone elses kids
6.charity car wash <-------$3.00 can go a long way when you have 8 kids washing your bike

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…