burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
It time to get a pressure washer instead of $20 at the car wash. Are the electric ones any good or should I only consider a gas one? What is the min. PSI I should consider? Any brand I should Look at or stay away from?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd go gas over electric because you don't want to be limited to using the washer to home use only. A gas washer can be tahen with you so you can use it while away from an electruic source. The added benefit is that the small gas units are a little more powerful so it will find a lot of use around the house (I have the cleanest garage floor in the world).

You don't need, or even want a pressure washer with a lot of power. A small duity gas unit (2200-2500 psi) would be best. If you have too much pressure you will remove the grease from the bearing/bushing. You'll also remove all of your graphics!

I have a 2200 psi unit from Home Depot (Excel/Honda) that I paid $375. It had plenty of power. In fact, I always use the fan wand to make sure I don't cause any damage.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wrong Forum.
Please post in the correct Forums.
Moved to Products.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Burchdog,
I just spend 10 minutes replying, hit send and it deleted because I was not logged in! :eek:
Here we go again!

I would go with a gas unit, (electrics are fine when they work but fail more) PSI wise, 1800-2400 is an average size for what yor doing, and work well. Keep in mind if you get a litlle bigger unit you can use it for much more, (driveway, car, house, paint chipping, etc etc) when you use a larger unit on the bike , just idle it down and use it at a lower speed. (save the bearings and seals) Also, most pressure washers are not gravity fed. You need an adequate supply of water (2400 psi at 2.4 gallons per minute, you need at least a 2.4 gallon per minute supply of water!) You can put a shrader valve in the cap of your water supply and give it about 10 psi and that should work. All that said, I use a gravity feed tank at the races, keeping the tank in my pick up, and running the engine slow or at idle (2400 psi unit) and it works fine. Once in a while I have to blow some air into the tank to get it going, once it starts it usually stays working.. Brands, Sears (craftsman)- Lowes, under the Troybuilt, Husqavarna and Lowes/Generac Portable Product brand names for a few. These are all made by Briggs and Stratton Power Products in Wisconsin..... where I work supporting P/W and Generators. If you need any more info, drop me an email and I can give you a call! :thumb:
Mike

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I like the ease of use of my Karcher electric washer so much that I sold my Karcher 3500psi 16hp V-Twin gas unit. It is so much handier and has plenty of power for everything I use it for.

I've had my electric unit now for 6 years without any problems.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You dont need a high power expensive one-over here i got a 1000psi electric jet wash for less than $100 , this was 8 years ago, still use it all times of the year-never failed and needed a part.Its plenty powerful enough and is very useful.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I bought the $80 Kragen Auto special. It's electric and I think is 1300psi max. More than enough to wash the bike and the driveway. Have used it for about 1 year with no problems. I figure at that low price I can throw it away when it does quit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom