Pretty Bike Parts by Machinist

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Yes i am a member here too....Maurice.. :thumb: I am not registered here ,so i probably won't be able to post pics here ,unless someone does it for me.I have some on photobucket.com, but i just started there and i need to find my way around.I will register soon though on this forum.

I have been busy on my KDX and i want to share what i have done with this forum soon.

For now people can follow your link to see my Suzuki and some pics of the KDX clamps i just finished making. I don't think anyone has ever made top and bottom clamps for the KDX..so stay tuned... :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Machinist said:
Yes i am a member here too....Maurice.. :thumb:

Yeah, I recognized your name on the DRZ forum, so thought it might have been you. Nice stuff. I'd be first in line for a replacement top clamp for my 89, has dorky fixed rearward pointing bar clamp mounts. A reversible 1-1/8 top clamp would be trick!

-Maurice

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Just beautiful work. That is the most beautiful DRZ I have ever seen.

Very nice KDX stuff too. I would be glad to 'demo" that kdx clamp/bar seup for you;)

Sean

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
moridin said:
Just beautiful work. That is the most beautiful DRZ I have ever seen.

Yeah, my bro's going to be drooling, thinking 'bout all the goodies he'd like to bolt onto his KLX400 (badged DRZ)

-Maurice

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Machinist,

Two words: beautiful work. I love the triple clamps and I'd like a set of the rearsets for my CBR600F4i. :-)

Actually, after thinking about it, I'd like to see a set of KDX triple clamps machined either for KX KYB USD forks or Showa USD units. Now that would be REALLY sweet.

Best,
Greg

Last edited:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Hey mOrie...thanks for exposing me so fast :yeehaw: :yeehaw: I will get around to showing off my KDX soon.If i don't become a paying member soon here i will see if i can provide a link to photobucket.com where the pictures will be stored.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to look so far.I forgot to mention earlier that i have in fact emailed some of the Suzuki pictures to Canadian Dave some time ago after i had contacted him for some advice,but he seems to take a long time to reply from his hotmail....oh well..he will see stuff here soon... :thumb:

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Machinist - Awesome work, your DRZ truly amazing - I sent a link to a bunch of my friends. I think gwhII is on to something, the fork upgrade seems to be a recurring theme here - I'd bet that a bolt-on setup for a fork upgrade from a common (read inexpensive) source would be quite marketable. As for myself, I'd like a CNC machined, fully articulated suit of armor :)

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Ok guy's...i finally uploaded some pics of my KDX onto photobuket.com I will open a new thread also to get some more attention.

There are probably some redundantpictures on there...so feel free to fast forward them if thye look similar( ilove photography also..so i get shutter release happy at times.. :laugh: )

I should point out that the hand gaurds you see on the bike are borrowed from my Suzuki , as i have green rally pro two's on back order...I REPEAT DON'T GET OFFENDED BY SEEING BLUE ON A KAWI...) :laugh: :laugh:

I will refrain from saying to much about it for now as i will let the pictures speak for them selves.All i will say is ...fresh top end,new fmf pipe,boyessen reeds and the goodies i have made..most notably the CLAMPS in case no one noticed.. :yeehaw:

Start the comments comming..here is the link..

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Machinist099/Suzuki DRZ 400S/Kawasaki KDX/

I hope this link works..as i am not a subscriber yet..might have to soon

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Pictures of Machinist's KDX 220...

(This is a repeat of the reply i posted in the other thread to generate more interest..so here go's.)

Ok guy's...i finally uploaded some pics of my KDX onto photobuket.com I will open a new thread also to get some more attention.

There are probably some redundant pictures on there...so feel free to fast forward them if they look similar( i love photography also..so i get shutter release happy at times.. )

I should point out that the hand gaurds you see on the bike are borrowed from my Suzuki , as i have green rally pro two's on back order...I REPEAT DON'T GET OFFENDED BY SEEING BLUE ON A KAWI...)

I will refrain from saying to much about it for now as i will let the pictures speak for them selves.All i will say is ...fresh top end,new fmf pipe,boyessen reeds and the goodies i have made..most notably the CLAMPS in case no one noticed..

Start the comments comming..here is the link..

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v139/Machinist099/Suzuki DRZ 400S/Kawasaki KDX/

I hope this link works..as i am not a subscriber yet..might have to soon

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Feel free to look at the Suzuki album and the one with the rearsets..I will be adding more soon... :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Feel free to look at the Suzuki album and the one for the rearsets....there are four pages to the KDX one... :thumb:

I will add more pics soon... :worship:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
A Suzuki fork tube question

Machinist, I noticed that your DRZ has adjustable spriing preload caps. I'd like to construct something similar for a KDX but there's the problem of the rebound damping rod being in the same place that the adjusting screw needs to be. Do you have any photos or even an explanation of how Suzuki attaches their rod to the fork cap ? A parts diagram would probably have enough detail to work from.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Machinist said:
I will add more pics soon... :worship:

We'll all be waiting. Great stuff. Have you ridden your KDX with the triple clamps? I'm curious how you like them with the isolators.

-Maurice

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
My bike is a 2000 model, and it did not come with the cartridge fork yet.So there is no damping rod attached to the fork cap. I have removed mine to change springs and oil etc. and the preload adjuster just pushes down on the spring to set preload.... :ugg:

I have not had a chance to really examine the offroad model which does have a cartridge fork to see if they have the same preload adjuster. If they do,i will see if something similar can be done for the KDx.. :thumb:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
No Maurice i have not ridden it yet.It's just been raining alot here, and the riding season has not quite begun.

I do like the feeling of the enhanced ergo's( being farther forward and higher) mind you i had the original clamp perches replaced with another one of my own setups,,but hey weren't as nice as these.The isolators still flex when i push forward similar to the original mounts( but a little firmer).

I hope i can generate some interest in them to be able to sell them. I have other ideas for the kdx also.I will be working on a kickstand to replace the steel anchor that hangs of the swing arm, that will mount just behind the footpeg similar to other bikes.It will be made of aluminum for lightness.

I forgot to mention that the stock triple clamp stem was replaced with an amluminum one made of 7075-T6 aluminum.You should see how much the stock steel one weighed!!!! All in all ,the bottom clamp ended up weighing less than stock and the stem way less and the top about the same as stock.There is a good weight savings..i have it written down at work, and i will let you know how much.

I have to admit that the pictures look better at the original higher resolution...so if any body wants them, drop me a line and i would be glad to send some.

work email:
machinist@bellnet.ca

home email:
machinist@rogers.com

On weekends and evenings, use the home one

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002

Well like the saying goes, if you make them they will sell (slightly paraphrased).

I think ghwII has the right idea...

ghwII said:
Actually, after thinking about it, I'd like to see a set of KDX triple clamps machined either for KX KYB USD forks or Showa USD units. Now that would be REALLY sweet.
KX fork swaps are reasonably straight forward on a KDX, the thing that seems to be hard is getting the parts and getting the stem pressed out of the KDX triple and into the KX triple. Having a piece that was already to go, just drop in the forks and go would be golden. Throw in reversible bar mounts and removable isolators and much joy would be had :thumb:

I've seen homebrew mounts to move the kickstand behind the footpeg, but having a nice non-hackish piece would be nice.

-Maurice

Last edited:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a set of KX usd forks and making up a set of clamps to mount them.That may be a new project down the road.

I just had my suspension revalved and re-sprung from my local MX-Tech dealer, and so far i like how they feel standing still... :laugh: I imagine that they should be a big improvement when i ride it.Did you notice in the pics that i eliminated the stock odometer and related hardware???? (more weight savings there) and it looks cool with a simple bicycle computer and has more functions.I made a spacer to replace the hub drive.

Ya ..i think i visited a members website that featured a home made kick stand...and it did look kind of crude..no offense to him as he doesn't have my resoureces. Mine should look better..

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Saw that, those bike computers work really well. My odo was gone on my 89 when I got it. Adding a $20 bike computer is one of the next projects here in the near future.

Since i'm banging the what we want drum, i'll bang somemore.

A set of double wide pegs (like the one on your DRZ)
Odo hub spacer (like you sez above)
A real skid plate, that comes up and covers the water pump and flywheel covers
Nice full frame guards to go with the above
Good radiator guards/braces (think UNIBIKERS for the DRZ)

-Maurice

Last edited:

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
I saw your extended pegs for the DRZ. VERY NICE. I'm wishing for a pair of those for my KDX.. my big size 12's make me put the pegs on the balls of my feet, negating the "replacement sole insert" on my boots. :|

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
It may be hard to see in some of he pictures( or just because they are painted black) but my pegs are widden to over 2" wide .I did this by welding a third rail to the back of the stock ones.Now this is something that would be hard to sell unless i bought some stock pegs and offered a sort of core charge for anyones old ones in exchange.

There are quite a few after market pegs already on the market ..so i don't know how much impact i could have....unless it's something custom like my DRZ ones.( which are low and farther back).

According to Gary Semics who taught alot to Jeremy Mcgrath, your supposed to be on the ball's of your feet if you're not shifting or braking...i try and follow that teqnique...but i admitt i too find my self with my arch on the peg.Don't despair..Dawg_enD...you are riding correctly...but i know how you feel ..you want your feet farther forward.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
Ah? I didn't know I was doing it right. That's nice! It just feels like it must be wrong if I have to pick up my feet to hit the brake. Ah well... I'm so new that I just assume I do it ALL wrong.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…