Pretty Bike Parts by Machinist

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Unless you really want to see more..( which i think your pulling my leg... :eek: ) i know i over did it on the pics,, if you read my first post about photography...I will edit some out soon. I was in a hurry and just uploaded all of them and now i realize it was a little to much!!!

Wibby...i have read your posts in the past....and respect your opinions... :worship: any thoughts on what i am doing ??????

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
The book i am refering to you by Gary Semics is available at most book stores and some online places like amazon.com.I have the book and i will post you some more info on it tommorow. It's quite good for beginers and pro's alike.. :thumb: :thumb:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
RESPECT me?? :eek: :worship:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Sweet looking bike!

Wish mine looked like that but then again I CRASH, often!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Machinist said:
Start the comments comming..here is the link..

How about making an all aluminum kickstand? That's got to save several #'s right there. I bought an aftermarket one for....hold on now, $52 :ohmy: bit is sure is nice compared to stock and I sold my stock on eBay for $25 so I guess I'm not too bad off.

How about making an aluminum subframe? That should also lighten up the KDX quite a bit. And a stronger aluminum shift lever. And a brake lever that is more like the KX and not a stamped out piece of tin like the stock one? And, and.......

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
How about making an all aluminum kickstand?

I found this in another thread from the machinist:
I have other ideas for the kdx also.I will be working on a kickstand to replace the steel anchor that hangs of the swing arm, that will mount just behind the footpeg similar to other bikes.It will be made of aluminum for lightness.

Love the new SIG skipro! :laugh: :worship:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Machinist said:
Did you notice in the pics that i eliminated the stock odometer and related hardware???? (more weight savings there) and it looks cool with a simple bicycle computer and has more functions.I made a spacer to replace the hub drive.

Machinist,

I've said it once and I'll say it again - beautiful work. I went and read a little more slowly and I like the handmade tank on the DRZ.

In respects to the above quote, that is definitely one little gadget I could use. Since I added my Panoram, I have a plug blocking off my speedo drive now and what you did is a MUCH cleaner solution.

The kickstand idea you were kicking around has my attention too.

Best,
Greg

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
How about an aluminum kick stand for a KX/KDX hybrid????
Now that I could use.

Buc

victorb

Mar 11, 2003
bark busters

wow.. everyting looks great.. i noticed your barbusters were attached to the top triple clamp.. i think if you crash it might take a piece of your clamp with it.. maye better to attache them to your bars.. anyway,, how long did it take to finish the work? do you feel any diffrence in front end action ?

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
I just reduced the amount of pictures ,so as not to bore you guy's to much... :eek: :yeehaw:

To answer the above questions....i mention in the other thread that an aluminum kickstand is next on the to do list.I will post pics when done. As for having the bark busters attached to the triple clamp....No it won't harm the triple clamp.It has been offered for years and used by various top riders including Scott Summers,Randy Hawkins to mention a few. As a matter of fact some of you may know that the company Fastway that makes footpegs is now offering a sytem that mounts hand guards to the top handlebar clamp!!! It's the best way to keep the hand guards from turning when you crash..

I will be setting up a Paypal account soon sholud any body be interested, and may also post them on E-Bay.I will have a website set up in the near future..so i will keep you all posted.. :thumb: :thumb:

Ps: The responce to my stuff on Thumper talk is going well also :worship:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
The odometer eliminator hardware is quite simple. It only consists of a spacer to take the place of the hub,and a plastic plug that you press into the hub to add a little more dirt protection to the bearings.I suppose i could try and source a seal instead of using the plug to cap the bearing,but the bearings already are well sealed.

Once this is done all the related odometer hardware can all come off,including the cable guide on the fork.It looks much cleaner and saves ( I believe on my Suzuki it was just over a pound alone) I have not weighed the KDX hardware but should be similar.The computer i used is a Sigma bicycle computer which can be had anywhere from $20-$50 bucks depending on the functions.Mine has trip,clock,average speed,max speed and a couple of more i cant recall.The good thing about the Sigma is it's maximum speed reading (up to 300km/hr !!!!) crazy...i don't know anyone on a bicycle who can go this fast...but what i mean is that for steert riding your not limited to some other units that only register to about 80-100km/hr.

As for mounting the magnet and pick up magnet to the fork and wheel....I took the magnet out of it's plastic housing and pressesd it into a plastic plug that goes into a hole on the floating disc.The pick up magnet is attached to the fork with some strong adhesive ( or you could epoxy it)....Lastly you have to lenghten the wire by splicing in a length to get it to reach the handle bar.I also slipped some black flexable tubing over the wire before the final solder joint....That's it !!!!

Oh..don't forget to run the cable through the calbe loops on the clamps before you solder the last connection !!!! Or you will be unsoldering again... :laugh:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Hey Machinist....I'm just a hop-skip and jump away from you. I'm just east of Toronto.
Keep up the great work.

Buc

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Hey Buckat..i tought for a momment you might be Blair Sharpless...but you ain't ..right????

If you are east of Toronto, then you must ride in the Ganaraska forest..correct??? that is my stomping ground also.

Get a hold of me if you like.work email is:

[email protected]

or home evenings and weekends at :

[email protected]

talk to you soon... :thumb:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Yes...my shop ..like the guy in the Remmington shaver commercial.."I liked the company so much....i decided to buy it"... :eek:

Just kidding..i started my machine shop business 11 years ago and still going strong.. :thumb:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Nope....Blair I ain't.

We're at the Ganny nearly every weekend. (My boy and I that is.) Either there or the North Humberland Forest. Both spots are great.

I'm just finishing up my KX125/KDX200 converison and hope to get out to either place the weekend after next for testing/setup.
Here some reading on it if'n ya like.
Project Ksub-dX
No......not as elabrite as the work you do... but instead it's intent is more so for us common folk. :)
It's nearly complete now. Carbon fiber'd gas tank and all. :laugh:
More to come as I get time to update the site.

Cheers.
I'll get back to soon as the riding season is on.

Buc ( a.k.a Joe )

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Nice project you have going there Joe.. :thumb: i have considered that after seeing picks of such a conversion on Canadian Daves site. But i always wondered if it was worth the trouble and just get a KX-250 and tune it down for woods work.That's what Blair did ,but he is in a diffrent class altogehter.
I also could never understand why kawasaki never put the inverted fork from the KLX-300 on the KDX, since it was already in their inventory and the bikes are similarly priced and target the same audience.I wonder how many more years the KDX has left in production... :ugg:

Just as a side note Joe..since you ride in the Northhumberland as well..will you be at the upcoming trail ride in May??? I have been to the last four myself.. :thumb:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
From what I've read here and there......the inverted forks on the KLX are no better than those on the KDX......Just upside down. :think:

I too thought of going the KX250 route but.......... when a 2000 KX125, complete with clear title, lands on you doorstep for a mere $500 clams...........Need I say more. :thumb: Toasted engine sorry to say.

As far as the trail ride.........never heard of it. I just found that forest last year so it's very new to me.....and large. Love to go though. I think my skills may be up to the task. :ugg:

Cheers.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
From what I've read here and there......the inverted forks on the KLX are no better than those on the KDX......Just upside down. :think:

I too thought of going the KX250 route but.......... when a 2000 KX125, complete with clear title, lands on you doorstep for a mere $500 clams...........Need I say more. :thumb: Toasted engine sorry to say.

As far as the trail ride.........never heard of it. I just found that forest last year so it's very new to me.....and large. Love to go though. I think my skills may be up to the task. :ugg:

Cheers.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Machinist said:
The odometer eliminator hardware is quite simple. It only consists of a spacer to take the place of the hub,and a plastic plug that you press into the hub to add a little more dirt protection to the bearings.I suppose i could try and source a seal instead of using the plug to cap the bearing,but the bearings already are well sealed.

...The computer i used is a Sigma bicycle computer which can be had anywhere from $20-$50 bucks depending on the functions...

I want one of the speedo hub eliminators... :-)

I'll admit that I went the easy route and bought a kit from www.trailtech.net. It had the computer, pickup, and magnetic replacement rotor bolt. All I had to do was drill a hole in the caliper to mount the pickup.

You definitely like to build from scratch and have the tools to do it and have the talent. I'd love just to have an old mill.

Best,
Greg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom