EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Anybody made the change from ProComp to CheckMate?
ICO says its more easy to program, I still have to use my manual to get me through programing the ProComp.

The CheckMate has some neat features but I may not take advantage of them because they look too small to see anyway!

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by yz250racer
procomp to watchdog2000 would be the real upgrade

Hrmmm, didn't know about that unit...did some checking at:
http://www.dugasengineering.com/
and like what I see, especially with programming.

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I will never use anything other than checkmate. I think in the end they do the exact same thing. I would call each company and talk to them about their product. I know the people at ico will answer any question you have. It will probably come down to user preference. Call them and let them help, they may tell you exactly what you may need to hear to make the correct choice. Good luck!!

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I second that. I switched to the checkmate after just learning to use the procomp. I was still making data entry mistakes with the procomp. I now enjoy the checkmate. My row members are now counting on me for the possibles, it is just to easy to do with the checkmate when the speeds are changing etc.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
I third that.
I upgraded from the Pro-Comp to the Checkmate.
It is a big plus to have all the info available on one screen.
I found myself fumbling with the Pro Comp trying to switch screens etc.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Hmmm.... So there are a few CheckMate users that are happy, good!
Interesting change that CheckMate has a sealed battery, I see WatchDog does too. Something feels od though about sending the whole thing in for a battery change??
My ProComp has never failed me yet but I never have liked the programming issue, glad to hear that I was not the only one.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
My CM battery lasted 4 years. I only replaced it after that to be on the safe side.
On the Watch Dog, I noticed you have to send it in to have the thumb switch replaced. With my CM I just keep and extra switch for back up.

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I'm on year four on my checkmate battery which = about 15 enduros a year plus a ton of trail riding. I still have 164 hours left. I may replace at midseason just to be on the safe side. Oh yeah i also used a P3 and the checkmate was ten times better. Guys in my club who have the watch dog have been extremely happy except for one and his worked great he just didn't like what was displayed.

ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
I switched over from the Moose Pacemaker3, and with the exception of the audible alarm, I like it much better. It's easier to program and I like being able to enter Free Territories. We'll see if the stories about the thumbswitch are true soon enough.

ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
I have had more than one club member tell me that the switches lose the rubber pieces, or that they just fail and have to replace them...

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Another satisfied Checkmate user here. I've heard from ProComp users that they like one display only, as they find the 'all at once' display of the CheckMate overwhelming. I've only used the CheckMate, so it’s display is what I'm used to. I don’t find it confusing at all. First enduro I used the CheckMate landed me first in my class.

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
I'm with those that love their Checkmate. I find it very easy to program and very easy to read while racing as well. Haven't had any problems with it even though it has already taken some hard shots in its short life.

Top Bottom