Progressive VS Straight coil springs in Front END

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
I have the Progressive 19-23 spring, Just wondering if the straight coils are better may change them, I have the 95 model , and has been revaled. YOUR THOUGHTS and OPIONS count, EVEN YOURS SPEED'Y ( I dont have the equipment to make this type of Home-Made MOD ).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I too have progresive springs (.36-.43) and like them a lot. I also have had my dampening rods revalved.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I had the revalving done by RRP in Stewartsville NJ. Mike doesn't give away his tricks so I can't really tell you what was done. Several DRN'ers have ridden my KDX and just can't believe the difference. The bike handles great, track or trail.

flyinghibrid

Jul 8, 2003
You should check your springs to make sure that the rate matches your weight. The best option is probably straight rate springs and install Race Tech Emulators. Do not mess around with the damping rods, the gain is not worth the amount of effort. Installing Emulators basically changes your forks to a cartridge action style fork. They work awsome for the money.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Hmmm, $70 for revalving or $500 on gold valve emulators...Hmmm...

And yes, the .36 to .43 rate springs are correct for my 180 pound body.

Now what do I do with my left over $430???

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Race Tech Emulators won't work and aren't needed in the KDX as the forks are already cartridge type [ even though very old cartridge tech ]. RT Gold Valves, however are a really great fix for the "on-off" stock base valves. If he's had the suspension revalved as noted, it's likely that someone has already installed either GVs or a similar tuneable valve.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
KDX's have damping rod type forks. The process of "re-valving" these forks is actually drilling and filling the compression and rebound orifices in the damping rod.

Of course cartridge forks also have damping rods, however the oil flow is controlled by valved pistons for rebound and compression within a cartridge tube. This is what makes cartridge forks much more precise and tunable.

The gold valve emulators try to give this flexibility to damping rod forks by emulating the relationship between the compression and rebound pistons. It is a very expensive way to solve the inherent problems of the damping rod forks. Drilling the orifices in a damping rod forks to suit your individual needs works as well but the forks become less flexible for a wide range of riders over a wide range of conditions.

My “re-valved” forks work well for me in the conditions I normally ride. They would actually perform worse than standard forks outside of the environment that they have been modified for. The emulators make the forks less one-dimensional.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'Race Tech Emulators won't work and aren't needed in the KDX as the forks...'

Note: ’91 KDX 200

re: what to do with $430......
EG is requiring payment for his work these days (the nerve!). How about you pay him for mine? After all, it IS better to give than receive, right?

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
Thanks , but I think you guys got a little off base. I have the race tech gold valves. The Forks are set up like the KTM- zooks compression on the brake side and is the only side you make adjustment on, the rebound right side no ajustment. I guess the progressive do the job, I haven't ridden any with the straight coils to compare back to back. The Suspension shop recommended this set-up, Because I have a severe Disability, I was in a car wreck and end-up with a Broken-Neck. I never rode a bike till after the car wreck. Any way this set-up is suppose to be a little more plush in the rocks and still handle the bigger hits so my neck wont feel the affects. Now I am perty much up to speed with every one in the Hairscrambles B-riders, just wondering if the straight might be better since my riding has inproved.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Jason,

I think you might be right. I'm sure that $500 figure was a number I got from a SV650 web-site for the GV-emulators installed.

flyinghibrid

Jul 8, 2003
I assumed you had an older KDX.
Emulators are about $150.00 and it is a do it yourself job.
Progressive springs are softer and cushier for off road use and even hairscrambles. If you are doing some bigger stuff and getting faster you may want to try straight rate springs. The straight rates hold the front end up better and improve handling at a more progressive pace. They also help with bottoming.

Top Bottom