Proper stance during a jump question

lennyspall

May 17, 2008
I've noticed two different stances while flying off a jump, all the youtube amatures are leaning to the back of the bike while the supercross pros are leaning toward the front of the bike. Are all the youtube wanna-be's doing it wrong, and why do the pros lean forward flying through a jump?

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
hmm.

I'm pretty sure the pros must doing it wrong. eh?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Leaning over the front of the bike will keep the front end down. Many jumps have a lip at the top. If you hit that lip at full throttle while in a neutral postion or leaning back on the bike the bike will loop out on you.

I would guess the squidleys on you-tube are not pinning it off of the jumps like the pro's do.

Just a guess. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Add to that, the you tube crowd (and me) are probably not hitting the jumps in the lower gears. I hit jumps in third that I know my bike can clear in second. Why do I do this? Because accelerating into a jump that hard, in the lower gear, tends to push the front wheel into the air (a situation where you want your weight over that front wheel to keep it down) whereas the higher gear provides a more neutral flight which allows me to be in a more neutral position at takeoff. The downside to my method is simple, the bike doesn't accelerate nearly as well in the higher gears.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
I myself am one of the youtubers and do exactly what Frudaddy says. ill shift up a gear before the take off to make the jump a little more smooth and predictable. not as fast but safer haha

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…