Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Hello everybody. :]

This summer I have been working full time for "The Hand Center of Houston". And I got the job because my friend Robert's dad is very good friends with the founder and owner of The Hand Center, Dr. Michael Brown. Anyways, this place is a surgery center for Carpel Tunnel and other joint related injuries and problems.

Well, this Michael Brown is a multi-millionaire and is quite intimidating to me. But, he came back to the warehouse one day and told Robert and I that he was proud of us for the work we'd done and to keep up the good work.

After he left I said "Dangit, that was my chance to ask him to sponsor me to race." (jokingly..)

Anyways, Robert was talking to his mom, who used to be Dr. Brown's secretary and he told her what I had said. And she responded "That's actually a very good idea, Dr. Brown loves things like that and would probably be happy to have more advertisement."

But, the thing is, he is a very successful businessman, and I don't want to just waltz up to him and say "Hey, I'll wear your logo for a little extra cash..." (that was a joke)

I was just wondering if you guys could help point me in the right direction for writing up a formal proposal for sponsorship.

I was thinking something a long the lines of the number of joint related injuries in motocross, mixed with the rapid expansion of his company could work out greatly to his advantage. He is opening offices in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and eventually other parts of the country that I figured would be pretty prime places for motocross racing.

I know it's a little far fetched to be thinking about asking someone so big for a sponsorship, even considering that I haven't even got my new bike yet, but I have goals and I am quite determined to race motocross.

I have been saving all of my money and will be purchasing an '09 YZ250F mid-October.

I would have no problem wearing "The Hand Center" gear, or getting a Hand Center graphics kit for my bike. I don't really care what I look like. I just want to race.

I would even wear scrubs, haha.

I know that in this proposal I am going to be trying to sell myself and my dad has already had a good stern talking to me about not making myself sound like an idiot.

I figured I would ask on here, because I know there are a few of you that probably receive sponsorship requests or have handled things like this before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Aryain said:
. . . my dad has already had a good stern talking to me about not making myself sound like an idiot.
I like your dad already.

here's the deal. You are going to this guy and asking if you can represent him to the public. So, in order to show that you would be a good representative, you need to:
  • get a decent haircut
  • find a nice button-down and decent slacks for your visit with him
  • make up a "resume", so to speak, showing your results.
If you're a noob, don't expect any jingle until you can show some results -- maybe a gate fee or two to start, because your sponsor will get at least one mention over the PA system per moto.

IF you get a sponsorship from this gentleman, then you have to continue to properly represent him. I have a few more suggestions:
  • keep a decent haircut
  • stop wearing that stupid flatbill ball cap all sideways
  • pull up your pants
  • tuck in your shirt

Of course, to keep your sponsor, you'd probably better win some races.;)

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
XRpredator said:
I like your dad already.

here's the deal. You are going to this guy and asking if you can represent him to the public. So, in order to show that you would be a good representative, you need to:
  • get a decent haircut
  • find a nice button-down and decent slacks for your visit with him
  • make up a "resume", so to speak, showing your results.
If you're a noob, don't expect any jingle until you can show some results -- maybe a gate fee or two to start, because your sponsor will get at least one mention over the PA system per moto.

IF you get a sponsorship from this gentleman, then you have to continue to properly represent him. I have a few more suggestions:
  • keep a decent haircut
  • stop wearing that stupid flatbill ball cap all sideways
  • pull up your pants
  • tuck in your shirt

Of course, to keep your sponsor, you'd probably better win some races.;)

Thanks for the reply Pred. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
I hate to admit it but I am a noob, in the racing scene that is.. Everyone has to start somewhere though.

Check on the clothes.
Check on the hair cut.
I do wear my hat in a way that you may call "stupid" some times, but I have no problem tossing the hat. :)

I am also looking for a little bit of insight on how I should write up a resume or proposal.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What do you call sponsorship? You are going to need to define this for him to make a decission if it is something he wants to do.

What class do you race and where do you typically place? Be prepared to explain the different levels in minimal detail (time is money). If you don't get on the podium or holeshot much there is less exposure for his business.

Don't talk in text message format and don't use to much moto lingo he's not in it to be a rider he's in it to get business. Basically YOU need to look at it from his perspective and show him what's in it for him because he knows what's in it for you.

Post up your proposal here and maybe we can help you fine tune it.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Aryain,

I hope your dad is recovered?

I have to qualify my statements by saying I don't know a thing about racing mx.
However, I did sit on a couple of committees that were looking for sponsors- the YMCA, a local triathlon club are two in particular, where I helped find/brokered some sponsorship. I imposed on my husband and some good friends who were business owners. Although good causes, I have some regret about the lack of appreciativeness/insight of some of the recipients. But, what is done is done.

Business owners are approached almost constantly for money. Keep that in mind.

One thing I found was that the athlete or club was too often focused around themselves, as if sponsors would be clamoring for their name on a shirt or what have you. It just ain't so. To be honest, for the average citizen participant, the name exposure for the businessperson is fairly small and uncertain. Business owners tend to do it for the community good will- more so than for advertising dollars with measurable market share. I was shocked to hear a 50 something Professor of Economics talk like a child in his lack of understanding of this, so blind was his love of his sport, and frankly, himself. :| ugh. Lol. We all get a little delusional when it is something we love.

Our Egos can be E-normous.

Here are some basic tips:

1.) Consult an English/Writing teacher. Make sure your proposal has impeccable structure, grammar, punctuation.

2.) Identify what the sponsor gets for his monetary or in kind contribution. At this point "levels" of sponsorship might be premature, but, it was definitely something that came up for us as something a business owner appreciated. They call that brand identification/brand placement. The last thing on earth you want is for someone to back you, then someone else gets a better placement on your jersey/ tire/ helmet/ website/what have you. You have no idea how much ill will can be created when all of the sudden you have a second sponsor (should you be so lucky) and their name gets better placement. Not cool. You need to think these things through, and make sure conflicts do not occur.

3.) Answer these questions: Have you raced even once? Were you successful? Have you ever been instructed? What are your goals? What is your plan to achieve those goals? What do you need to accomplish at each step of the way? Costs?

4.) Answers these questions: WHY should he push some money toward your hobby, rather than, say, a homeless shelter, a scholarship for a deserving a youth, his own hobbies? Is this really the right TIME to ask for sponsorship (your career/his business cycle)? What makes you different than the at least 1000 other organizations and people who have contacted him so far this year looking for a handout? What makes you worthy?

5.) Answer more questions: How could your activities negatively impact him? Why should he assume the risk of having his reputation associated with yours? What happens to his business if he is sponsor to a kid who has suddenly been in a serious mx accident- perhaps life threatening injuries, paralyzed, death? Especially given his occupation, I think this is a very important question for you to answer.

6.) Likewise you will need to adhere to some form of code of conduct at the point you become a visible entity of his firm. You can't be mouthing off, get drunk driving tickets, poor grades, beat your girlfriend, kick your cat, be unsportsmanlike, steal, etc.

Finally- I would steer you toward some internet searching. There is a lot to sift through, but you certainly can find some examples of high level sponsorship proposals. You'll want to try an abbreviated version of some examples you find. Likewise, beware the sponsorship proposal hucksters. There are of course books. You could check Amazon.

Best of luck to you.

p.s. What happened to your college plans?

Last edited:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Different sport, higher competitive/funding levels, but an example of a sponsorship form which has many of the elements you need to include.

http://www.marathonchamp.com/Richard Whitehead Sponsorship Proposal 2008.pdf

The section on branding is lousy, incidentally. Stay away from that verbage. It also is confusing in light of what I said above. You have a brand- your name which is associated with your racing ability. Your sponsor has a brand- what their company makes/services they provide. Don't confuse the two concepts. Your proposal needs to address both of these.

Having said all that, most business people would prefer a proposal that is under a page and a half.

Cover letter, and possibly a second page indicating desired contribution, for what, and what they get in return.

Last edited:

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
LOL My friend just signed on with Muzzy. Got a brand new full exhaust for free. He has long hair and wears his hat sidways. At 40 years old I don't do that, but that is the way it is now days. Get use to it! Make up a nice little portfolio with all the races you have won or placed in. Add some pictures to it as well. Be yourself and be respectful and you will be fine.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
BigSwole said:
LOL My friend just signed on with Muzzy. Got a brand new full exhaust for free. He has long hair and wears his hat sidways. At 40 years old I don't do that, but that is the way it is now days. Get use to it! Make up a nice little portfolio with all the races you have won or placed in. Add some pictures to it as well. Be yourself and be respectful and you will be fine.
Wow he got a whole exhaust system for FREE?! :laugh:

If I choose to provide funds or equipment to an individual or team everything stated prior to your post DOES count. Get use to that because the golden rule is he with the gold makes the rules.

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
Patman said:
Wow he got a whole exhaust system for FREE?! :laugh:

If I choose to provide funds or equipment to an individual or team everything stated prior to your post DOES count. Get use to that because the golden rule is he with the gold makes the rules.

They also pay his entry fees. He's number 1 in the points right now so more $ and parts will come. Keep in mind, he's just starting out. Not too many sponcers are going to go all out until you prove yourself.... But hey, if you want to provide money based on a hat turned sideways, go for it :coocoo:

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Patman and Fatcat thank you so much for the information.

These posts are very helpful. I am going to get started on this soon. But, I am currently caught up in work and getting college things sorted out...

My dad has made a full recovery.
And by full I mean he is back to his normal old self...
You would think that a near death experience would change someones outlook on life.. but not my dad. He still drinks almost every day. He STILL rides his Harley at night, drunk, WITHOUT A HELMET. I have tried talking to him, but he just doesn't get it.

As for college; I decided that Wisconsin just wasn't the place for me. To be quite honest I was just having a hard time with my dad, and my ex girlfriend and was looking for more of an escape than anything. After getting rid of her, actually becoming friends with my dad, and being able to have a life outside of my ex... I realized how much I really do like it here and how good a life I have. I disappointed a lot of people with my decision to attend a Community College with my ACT scores and GPA.. but there's nothing wrong with Community College and I will be transferring into a university...

Anyways...
-BigSwole... I don't know where you and your friend live, or the people at "Muzzy".. but I know for damn sure that Dr. Brown, as cool a guy as he may be, has no time for kids playing games. He is a businessman, and that's what he does: business. If I were to walk up to him looking like you described your friend (no offense) he would probably laugh. I think it's great that your friend got that sponsorship. But, for my situation things are a little bit different.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
I know. I wasn't calling you or your friend kids. I'm saying that I am only 18. So, from his perspective I would seem like a kid just wasting his time.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Aryain you are quite welcome. I was afraid I'd scared you off.

Thanks BigSwole for the positive vibes and flushing him back out. Aryain is the right kind of people, and, a kind word of encouragement is always a kind word. I appreciate the sentiment behind "relax and be yourself"- especially when a kid (sorry Aryain) has a good head on his shoulders. However, as Mark Twain said "'Be yourself' is the worst advice you can give some people". ;)

This thread will be read & possibly heeded by others not quite of the caliber of Aryain.

As to the personal aspects of life Aryain??- It sounds like you've made some GREAT decisions. You have support in this corner for your tech school (community college) decision- even with great ACT/GPA. Having wasted enormous amounts of money and intellectual potential on higher education :( I am a huge huge huge advocate for technical schools. :cool:

If it is possible for you to get a certification in an employable field before you transfer into university, I would highly recommend you complete a program. Universities can gobble up cash and bright motivated people and spit them out like so much disoriented tobacco spittle. A tech program in the right hands will keep your mind sharp and not bored with just so much yammering and speculation.

In addition you will have SKILLS- the number one most important thing you need. You can expand on those all through life, but, you will always have them. They make you employable. Keep getting good grades, do extra whenever you can, and look for real world experiences as much as possible.

You are going to do just fine.

I look forward to reading your proposal.

Last edited:

cmp11

Aug 4, 2008
you have all the advice you need now, just follow/listen to it and you'll be fine let us know how it goes... good luck!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Aryan check your PM box.

Top Bottom