millenko

Oct 24, 2001
Hey guys-

I posted here a while back about buying a new bike. I wanted to first say thanks to everyone who responded with helpful advice on buying a new bike.

As an update, I bought a 2002 KX 250, and I love it. I've been riding twice on it, once on the track and once in the woods, and I'm having a blast.

I have a question about protective equipment. Right now I have a helmet (of course), gloves and goggles. My next buy will definately be a good set of MX boots. Right now I'm riding in hi-teks(cop boots). I know that they don't offer the same protection as MX boots, but I didn't have the money immediately.

My question is this: What exactly are chest protectors for? They don't look like they would protect you from shoulder injury like football pads, it seems to me that they are probably more for flying debris etc...is this correct? IF that is the case, are they worth it? or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

What other equipment would you guys consider essential?

I'm not a kid anymore(25), and I can't afford to be off of work due to a preventable injury, what should I be wearing?

At the track I see some guys in full gear, and others wearing similar protection as me...What should I be wearing?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
When you say "at the track" I assume you mean you are riding MX. My suggestion wear as much as you can afford.
Priorities
Helmet (you have it) with good goggles (eyes are expensive to replace)
Next are boots
Gloves (whenever you go down your hands will probably take a hit)
Next in line ad ins
Chestprotector- yes it stops roost but also is there for objects on the ground and your bike (my son shattered his on the handlebars in a whoops section- never went down or felt it, without the CP would have at best a bruise at worst lets not go there)
Kidney belt (makes us fullbodied guys svelt:silly: )
Knee braces- if you can afford them they are worth it
Clothes jerseys and riding pants are designed to take abuse while giving extra protection.

When you buy there are always sales and clearances on last years models/styles and often used works just as good (with the exception of helmets IMHO)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Picture this, you are coming around a sharp corner and there's a sharp pointed tree limb coming at you and it hits you in the chest, with a chest protector, it will most likely deflect the sharp point, without it, you will be stabbed.

I fell off my bike when trying to climb a hill, I landed on the sharp corner of a rock, my chest protect saved my spinal cord from getting impaled by the rock, also the bike came down ontop of my chest and the chest protect keep me from getting broken ribs.

So now do you still what to know why I wear a chest protect?

Last edited:

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Helmet, goggles, boots are first for sure. Then everytbing you can get your hands on.

Chest protectors are really good when your slow and on an MX track. ( I know this fora fact) They protect ribs and skin and if you land just right you can get an extra long slide. I have some interesting gouges in my CP that would have otherwise been skin.

Knee pads are also useful for roost and falling(and appologizing to the little misses) but don't provide the same level of protection that a knee brace can provide. Still they are a good investment.

Elbow pads. I've never fallen on my elbow pads but the are great when it comes to banging handle bars.

Riding shorts with hip and tail bone pads can come in handy if you fall off and start tumbling instead of the prefered CP slide. They have the added benefit of protecting against monkey butt.

Kidney belt. Suit yourself here. These days they provide coverage between your pants and the CP. In the old days, when rear suspension was 4", they held your kidneys in place.

Neck Pad. Vertibre are tricky things. A neck pad can keep you from smashing them together.

Of course it cheaper to not fall so you don't have to buy any of this stuff, but what fun would that be???

Whoops

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I would also recomend a back protector:D . I wear one, even under my chest protector. I t goes all the way to my butt, but doesn't feel awkward:eek: , and isn't uncomfortable with the chest protector. Simply put, it covers the rest of my spine that isn't covered by my chest protector. I bought one after, I broke my back:debil: . I was riding a month and half later and fell on my back, and trust me. It did it's jod;) . It also has a kidney belt built in. I also bought one for my son. It doesn't mean he won't brake his back. Or that I won't brake mune again. But the extra security is nice. Heres a link to look at. Just something to think about. I never did. Until I broke mine.:mad:

http://www.backprotection.com/

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
Back Protecter

I got all the above gear, except a back protecter. I checked out the webpage, however, i could not find a price. How much did yours cost you Wraith? Thanks for any replies!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I think just about everything has been covered

#1 Helmet,
goggles
gloves
long pants
long sleeve shirt
some kind of boots
#2 good boots (a must, you won't believe how your feet can get torn up)
#3 pants & jersey and some sort of knee protection. If you can't afford braces at least get knee pads for $10 to $50.
#4 Roost / chest protector
#5 Everything else you can get and remember: No matter what you have it won't do any good if you don't wear it!

If you ever get to Fort Worth there is a motorcycle shop off of Loop 820 that always has 2 or 3 trailers in the parking lot full of last years line of pants & jerseys for sale cheap. Race pants for $30, jerseys for $15 to $20

You cam also pick up off EBay cheap and don't forget to try the DRN for sale forum

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
Millenko,

I wear a Dainese Saftey Jacket. My wife uses the Dainese Galdiator Jacket. The Saftey Jacket is a little better than the Gladiator Jacket. The saftey jacket will set you back around $350. It has real good padding in sholders, upper arms, elbows, full spinal protection with ribs for movement, upper back and trapezius pads and a chest protection plus a kidney belt. This can be worn under a shirt. I buy my suff at Cambriabike.com. Look under saftey gear. This is a mountain bike site and these are both motorcycle and downhill gear. The downhill gear has more breathability. Both are the same otherwise. You can also do a search under Dainese. There is only a few people in US that sell this stuff. Mostly street bike guys. Don't let this get you down. Look at the sites and you will find what you are looking for. Canbriabike.com is the best though. Also I wear mine over my shirt and in the desert in summer when temp is 112 degrees I do not feel hot. In winter it works great too.

I also wear Fox 911 Knee and shin pads, and Tech 8 boots. Under my MSR pants I wear MSR Impact shorts. Very comfortable with rear and side pads that fall out when you wash them. Just put them back in. Aria helmet for the head finishes me off. Oh, just plain work gloves for my hands. I like them best. By the way MSR Impact pants are very much like bicycle. So check out this site and you will see the pictures of the saftey gear. Look under Body Armor. shortshttp://www.cambriabike.com/

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Re: Back Protecter

Originally posted by Kawi250Kid
I got all the above gear, except a back protecter. I checked out the webpage, however, i could not find a price. How much did yours cost you Wraith? Thanks for any replies!

Pricing
Description Part # Fit/Age Price
Junior 77143 14-17 years old$65
Senior 77144 <6’ Tall and <34” Waist $75
Big Senior 77145 >6' Tall and/or >34" Waist $79

We recommend Big Senior for riders with a waist bigger than
34 inches even if they are shorter than 6'. AP Back Guard
is designed to be cut at both ends, if necessary, to fit individual
torso lengths. Please call us if you have any questions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 5'9, with a 36in waist. And the big senior is perfect (could still go either way) after I trimed it.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
check out www.bobscycle.com
they get great deals at times
right now they have two styles of boots
<ADMIN EDIT: No pricing please>
IF YOU FILL IN THE PROMO CODE ON ORDERFORM;)
sorry did not know check it out they have great deals
on boots right now

Last edited:

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
Thanks Wraith. That will be the next thing i order. A BP sounds like a great idea. I have fallen and hurt my back several times and i dont want to break it. Thank you for the quik responce!

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Knee guards too!

I just introduced my knee to a tree last Saturday, not fun at all. My knee guards were in the truck :( I didn't wear them because they were old and cruddy. I bought new ones this week.

had I had them on I would not still be limping today.

millenko

Oct 24, 2001
Thanks for all the excellent advice!

I hadn't thought of the shorts idea, I wore something similar when I played ball, kind of like bicycle shorts but with pockets for your hip pads and tailbone pad.

BTW-what is "monkey butt" it sounds horrible but I just have to ask...:eek:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Wraith
I would also recomend a back protector:D . http://www.backprotection.com/

I did it. I finally picked up the phone and ordered one. I don't really have the $$ but I did it anyway. I figure after I get hurt, I'd pay anything for the saftey gear. I did it, I ordered it!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
:) Jiggle Belts!! Perfect! May I have permission to adobt that term?

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
I am suprised more people here didnt mention knee pads! I consider them to be one of the "first buys". I wear all the equipment mentioned in the above posts except knee braces (cant afford them) and back protector (never thought of that). But I feel I have been saved from serious injury way more times by my knee pads than anything else I wear. My knees are the only body partI have that hits the ground pretty hard about EVERY time I fall.

*shrug* My 2 cents..

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Okie, feel free to jiggle away! :)

slickhenry,

I agree with you on the knee pads, Karl, myself and all three kids use them and elbow pads too for all our rides along with all the rest of the gear (except the back support - haven't tried that yet).

It seems constrictive at first but after using the different protection a few times, I feel vulnerable without all of it and I hate being vulnerable!:p

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
millenko

Monkey Butt - Well, you know it when you have it that's for sure. I guess the name says it all. Picture and adult male baboon walking away from you ....:scream:

Then think baby powder, gold bond and a hemorrhoid pad.:eek:

Whoops

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
MikeT, I'm glad to hear you orderd one! You won' regret it. And Kawi250Kid, get one soon. And I would love to see every one on this site (and people I ride with) get one as well. I never thought about one, or had even heard of one, until after my injury. But at least my injury (and passing the info onto others) helped out by letting me tell others about this product. There are other important saftey equipment out there that are just as vital. But at least we all know that we help other fellow riders out there with good advise, as this thread has shown with such good response from alot of people.:)

Top Bottom