purchasing a 2000 ktm mxc 200

natem

Feb 4, 2003
Saturday I will be checking out a used 2000 ktm mxc 200. I have had a yz 125 and a xr 250 in the past. I haven't ridden dirt in about 4 years, only street bikes. What should I look out for on this bike, I am not familiar with ktm's. All of my off road and street bikes have been jap bikes. The guy said it needs new fork seals, could it be more? Thanks for any input. I'm looking foward to having a great summer in the woods.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
check wheel bearings the spacers are cheap and have a tendency to make the seals wear quickly resulting in bearing failure, right side oil drain plug( when i bought my 2000 200 exc there was a heli coil in there that the seller didnt tell me about, i had to find out for myself) they strip out very easily. i also had a problem with the kickstarter, the knuckle was stripped out and welded back on, i also didnt find this out till the first time i tried to take it off. make sure there is no up and down play in the shock this is a sign of a bad heim joint. im sure there are other things im forgetting. maybe someone else can help. i can also tell you i love my 200.

natem

Feb 4, 2003
Thanks for the quick reply, $3000 is a lot of money, and I would like to talk him down if I can find anything wrong with the bike. Keep the reply's coming! Thanks

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
good advice above. also check to see if the ridge on the mud flap rubbed a groove in the swingarm just behind the shock mount. check to see if the chain adjuster bolts are stuck, they will seize if not cared for. the aluminum clutch plates are a hi-wear item, check to see if the clutch slips. sheesh, that's about it, they are great bikes. i have an '00 200 exc i bought new in 1/'00, it has been terrific.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
here'a couple more things i thought about, check spokes for tightness and wheels for trueness(make sure they dont wobble when you spin them, i bought an old rm with a bent rim once, i learned from that).take the seat off and/or look in the airbox make sure its moderatley clean and make sure that the airbox drain is clear of debris, when i bought mine it was packed full of sludge which could only mean the previous owner didnt clean it to sell it to me so i assume he never cleaned it.
lawman, did i buy a flywheel weight from you, i think it was you. i have yet to install it.
and just for futher insight i bought my 2000 200 exc for $2800 and have spent well over a grand on it because im nieve, and the previous owner wasnt much for maintnence, and im not very good at buying used bikes. although one thing i can say is ive learned alot about the inner workings of a ktm. and parts aint cheap, be prepared.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
yep, that was me, hope you enjoy it!

i'm cleaning up that bike right now to sell it. & yes, i will be scrubbing out the airbox.

natem

Feb 4, 2003
Thanks guys,
I will check everything listed even closer tomorrow. I have heard a lot of great things about ktm dirt bikes, hopefully I will buy one that doesn't have any hidden problems.

natem

Feb 4, 2003
No, I didn't buy it. The owner seemed very shady. The bike needed more work than I wanted to do for the price. The front and rear suspension needed immediate attention, and the bike overall looked very BEAT. He was asking $3k, I offered him $2500 and he said he would take it. He would only meet me at a gas station and he also had no paperwork for the bike. He claimed he bought it from a dealer only 4 months ago for $4k. I changed my mind after 1/2 hour.
Thanks to everyone, I checked everything out that was listed. I want a bike that somebody at least cared for, and by the look of it he didn't give a poop.

thermo

Dec 18, 2001
good for you, keep looking. if you dont already know about it check out www.ktmtalk.com. this is a free ktm only forum that can provide you with alot of info on ktm's.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by natem
No, I didn't buy it. The owner seemed very shady. The bike needed more work than I wanted to do for the price. The front and rear suspension needed immediate attention, and the bike overall looked very BEAT. He was asking $3k, I offered him $2500 and he said he would take it. He would only meet me at a gas station and he also had no paperwork for the bike. He claimed he bought it from a dealer only 4 months ago for $4k. I changed my mind after 1/2 hour.
Thanks to everyone, I checked everything out that was listed. I want a bike that somebody at least cared for, and by the look of it he didn't give a poop.
Sounds like a good move on your part, you don't happen to have a name and vehicle description to give to the local 50 do you?

brianc699

Mar 18, 2003
Are you still looking for a 200 mxc and where are you located if so. I have a 2000 200 mxc and I can assure you it is in excellent condition. It has a pro circuit platinum pipe and silencer, v force reed valve, new factory fx graphics, etc. Great bike, I'm located in SC, give me a call at 843-687-9539 if you're interested or [email protected], thanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom