Put new ProCircuit pipe on today.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
The new PC pipe is a screamer, but I have some concerns.

1. This pipe has only increased power in the UPPER midrange and top end.
2. Of course I have to rev it pretty good to make it perform.
3. I don't want to wear out my top end in 5 rides.

I wonder if a torque ring would help even it out.
I wonder if low tension reeds would help the midrange.
I know I have to check jetting now. That is next.

I have stock jetting and no carb mods. I did the airbox mod.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Maybe I'll sell it and get a Gnarly torque pipe?

Anyone have a similar experience with the PC pipe?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's pretty much subject to, well...others' subjective pov, but what you describe is about what you should have expected.

Some of the bottom end is likely jetting.

You need a new reed block anyway.;) Might as well try the DFII before you go to the trouble of swapping pipes. Maybe you'll end up with a couple to choose from!!

dfiidfiidfiidfii...hear it?.....It's getting louder!! DFIIDFIIDFIIDFIIDFIIDFII

:)

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
So whaddaya tryin to say here? Get a DFII? :think:

I think I'll sell my stock pipe. Is it worth $135.00?:laugh:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Anyone else use a ProCircuit?

I ordered a Fredette Torque Ring to see if it helps the midrange.

Any more suggestions?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Buy a good pipe. Something like a Dynoport or if Bills one.

www.dynoport.com

You probably need to do some more research before purchasing parts. The PC says it does everything. You should think twice about that.

Your reeds could be worn, the filter, silencer and plug dirty. Be sure to do the basic tune up on the bike. Also lean it out! Do a search on jetting for the bike as it is the most common question.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Matt90GT,

I thought PC was a good pipe. The posts I read seemed to confirm that.

1. Reeds are OK

2. Filter is clean.

3. Plug is OK

Next is a WOT plug chop to see if the mainjet is OK.

The bike was running AOK before installation of the pipe.

I think I'll mess with the air srew a little and, play with the choke at 1/4-1/2 throttle to see where my pilot jetting is too.

Ultimately I think I will go with CC's suggestion of a DFII reed valve setup.

Dynoport and Bill's make a KDX pipe?

Jaguar, thanks for the timing tip.

Last edited:

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
I installed a Fredette Torque Ring last week on my '95 with a Rev pipe, I found that it seems to lug a bit better but still has a ton of hit when I want it. It still wheelies in 3rd with just a flick of the wrist, but it also lugs better going up a rooty hill and seems to run in mud without having to rev the hell out of it to keep it going. The Fredette Torque Ring should help make the more technical portions of the trail easier and with a bit more confidence.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I like my PC pipe. It gives solid midrange performance with good over-rev.

You can't have ALL of the power in the lower range. Afterall, it is a two stroke and due to the restrictions of fixed port timing, maximum power will always be made at higher revs. For woods riding you want an engine that responds well at lower revs but still makes full use of its rpm range.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Watch out when advancing timing on a 2-stroke.

EG has said that while a good number of 2-strokes may benefit from retarding timing, few benefit from advance.

Yes, advancing timing will reduce the 'hit' and increase bottom end performance. You will be keeping a lot more heat in the engine, though (as opposed to it being in the pipe). That heat can lead to major problems if you aren't paying attention.

In any case, check out EGs tech articles on his site regarding 2-cycle tuning. The stator should not be moved much for any timing change..along the lines of .030" is all. Certainly not the distance the lines on the timing assy indicate!!

Before you do anything of that sort, saying 'I have stock jetting..' is something that must be addressed.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks for all the good replies.

Matt90GT, Thanks for the heads up on Dynoport and Bill's. They both make pipes for the KDX200. Rich at Dynoport said that his pipe will outperform the PC in the east coast woods by being able to pull a higher gear faster.(a good salesman!) Still waiting to hear from Bill's.

RV6junkie, I love the top end pull, but It's better mid range that I want. Not ALL the power in the lower range.

canyncarvr, I am not even thinking about advancing the timing. Especially to make a pipe perform as advertised.

I'll try jetting and the torque ring and see what happens.

If that doesn't do it, then maybe a Dynoport. $200.00 for factory and $225.00 for nickel plated.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
My PC pipe give more Midrange than anything! I think it's jetting and airscrew adjustment you should look at. I guess what I'm saying is.... It's not the pipes fault.

BB007

Apr 4, 2002
I installed the pro circuit pipe on my 99 KDX and this is what it did for me. Just a little less right off idle, then look out, it has more everywhere else. I then installed the torque ring and I did feel a small but noticable difference in low end with out any loss on the top end. I like the way my bike performs now with the pro circuit pipe, it's worth the money. I would suggest that you do a search and jet your bike down if it's a later model. They come too rich from the factory. I tossed my air box lid and went from a 160 main jet to a 155 and then changed the pilot from a 48 to a 45 and it cleaned up the bottom end. I have the jet needle on the 4th slot when its cold early in the year and I will move it up to the 3ed position when it gets hot outside to lean it up a bit. I hope this helps you out, good luck.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks Rethnal and BB007.

Some helpful info there.

BB007 what elevation do you ride at? What state? Any other mods to your bike?

It seems like jetting will be the key to making the bike perform now.

Also, if anyone is interested, Bill's makes a pipe for the KDX too. Like the Dynoport it enhances the lower and mid range most. Bill's is $198.00 for either factory or plated pipe and $98.00 for the silencer..

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…