schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, I am replacing the rings on my bike next week.
so, I read the sticky in the 2-stroke discussion forum, but I still have some questions.

how do I put on the rings?

how do I insert the piston back into the bore without damaging anything?

I am replacing the base & head gasket, do I need to use any type of a sealer, or should the gaskets be fine alone?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Just take your time and you will be fine. I can do a two-stroke top end blindfolded these days.

Pay close attention to the alignment pins for the rings, experience has proven to me that it is quite important :bang:

Gasket will be fine as is. I always use a torque wrench on the base and head, just to be sure.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
You just press the rings into the slots while sliding th cylinder on. Make sure the rings are in the right position, with the alignment pins in between the ring ends. Before you put it all back together make sure to spread a little bit of primix oil on the piston and cylinder. I usually spread some white grease on both gaskets to make it seal even better. You should not need to exert a lot of force on the cylinder to get it on, if you do then there is something rong. Do not force anything. And as Rooster said, torque her down.

R&R

Jun 5, 2006
i think he's talking about the pin on your piston. it sticks out in the ring groove, and that's where the two ends of your ring should meet. circlips are what keep the wrist pin inside the piston

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
ring pins are pressed into the piston they arent supposed to come out-or there will be catastophic damages
change the big main piston pin,and berring while your in there
letters on the rings go up
some older bikes rings only go on 1 way!! they are shaped to fit the little piston ring pins ,and allow them to close all the way

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, cool.

I'm going to try not to take off the piston.

what should I torque it to?

Last edited:

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
when you put in your new rings slide then untill you feel then slip into a slot,just go slow and you will feel it then oil them up with a rag,use the oil you mix your gas with. Then slid your cylinder down to your first ring and pinch in your rings and slide it the rest oe the way.Then torque your cylinder use the crisscrose methop a little at a time you don't need a torque wrench to do this just tighten them untill they are tight ,most inportant thing is to crisscrossing.you can do it!

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
Joe Kovarik said:
when you put in your new rings slide then untill you feel then slip into a slot,just go slow and you will feel it then oil them up with a rag,use the oil you mix your gas with. Then slid your cylinder down to your first ring and pinch in your rings and slide it the rest oe the way.Then torque your cylinder use the crisscrose methop a little at a time you don't need a torque wrench to do this just tighten them untill they are tight ,most inportant thing is to crisscrossing.you can do it!

ok, thanks.

yep, I have the head torqued down pretty evenly, but just to be safe, I will loosten the bolts and use the crisscross method.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
What are you torquing now? Cylinder, head? I usualy torque the cylinder to 25 and the head about 15 to 20. Make sure all the bolts are evenly torqued, if all but one are tight and that one is just a little loose then it will eventualy come off.

Jordan

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
my engine is not like the new ones, with seperate bolts for the cylender & head.

the same ones hold both down.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
geez... i feel stupid.

it's a design (since it's an old bike) where there are four threaded studs attached to the cases, and there are four holes in the jug that theses studs fit through, and then the head goes on top of that, and the bolts fit down into the four holes.... geez... I feel stupid.

I'm sure you've seen it before...

It's not like the new bikes where there's a flange on the bottom of the jug that bolts to the cases...

that is how new bikes are, right? :coocoo:

I did some research before I replied, I did'nt want to come across as an idiot.

sorry, I'm only 15.

edit: you can kind of see here....
the
ignore the green circle, it was ment for another thread on this site

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=612px-Equilateral_Triangle_svg.jpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom