KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The only pvc tube I could get from a huge plumbing supplier that the washers fit inside of was what I measured to be; OD= 34mm, ID= 30mm therefore the wall thickness is 2mm. Is the wall on this pipe adequate for the spacers purpose. Thanks in advance tREV... Oh and boy is it a PITA to get both ends square with a hacksaw. Im going to resort to a shop cutting it for me I think..

Attachments

• spacer2.jpg
    spacer2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 78

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I think the general consesus is that you want schedule 40 - the stuff I have is substantially thicker.

I bought a $10 mitre saw/box combo at HD. It worked just fine and they are very square. I am pulling mine out this weekend to lower the precompression by 5mm.

HD and Lowes had the heavier stuff - any home building place should have it as well. I had to buy 8' - so I should be able to make enough for about 500 applications;)

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
When I asked the sales guy for schedule 40 PVC he must of thought I was asking about a wigwong for a gooses bridal. He had absolutely no idea whatsoever.what I meant. So I really do need something with a thicker wall? Yeah I tried the mitre box but theres still to much play in the slot for a hacksaw blade. I might try a mitre saw aswell. Or I just might get the stock one laser cut into spacers. Any more tips or tricks guys?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Lol - go to a different store. I am guessing you have more plumping experience than he.

I have also cut them on a chop saw (power miter saw). Make a jig out of wood to hold the pipe - or c-clamp it tight. Have someone hold up the plastic guard around the blade. Make 5 or 6 then compare them and take the 2 that are closest in length. You will never get it perfect but 1mm is not going to hurt anything.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
You can go to a hardware store and ask for a tubing cutter. it has a cutting wheel that is forced against the tube as the tube is turned. cutting the tube after many turns. there is also a tool called a pipe cutter which is similar but much heavier and more expensive. tubing cutter come in different sizes, get one big enough for your tubing. tubing cutters make square cuts.

bob

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Thanks a bunch Maurice.... :thumb:
More news on my pvc is that its high pressure water piping. I did an experiment by cutting a 30mm long piece of pvc, put a washer on either side and proceeded to squash it in a vise to find its breaking strain. Now I cant measure the pressure in any way but it took a DAMN lot of tightening the vise before it started to fracture. This may not be a very scientific test but Im almost convinced to use it. Any advice would be great because Im running in circles over here trying to find "SCHEDULE 40". Im starting to think theres a conspiracy.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom