razor

Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone out there know if I can put different forks from another yamaha to the pw50? Mt son bottoms out and this causes him to lose control and crash. Any ideas for the rear suspesion on it?

razor

Oct 24, 2007
OK. I have decided to take things into my own hands. Live a little right. I have ordered yz60 forks from fle-bay. They are due in tomorrow. I also ordered a qt50 drive shaft housing. It is longer than the pw 50. I will have to increase the length of the swing arm a bit. Just got it back from the shop. I had the head milled and the cylinder bored out 60 over. I also installed the heavy duty clutch springs. This thing rips pretty good now.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Seems like it would be a lot easier and you'd end up with a alot faster (it's all relative) bike if you just sold the stock PW and popped him on something with better power and suspension.

razor

Oct 24, 2007
Money is a little tight right now. He is having a blast racing and I just want for my son to have a little better suspension for the landings. The bike screams pretty good right now. I can't wait to see him ride in New Richmond, Wi at the Amsoil Sandbox Indoor Arean on Dec 13. He is saving up for his next bike. A KX65.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
well not to burst your bubble but out of the 65cc options the kx has by far the worst stock suspension avail. so you'd be going from a 50cc bike with crap suspension to a 65cc bike with crap suspension. Even after dropping $1000 into a kx's suspension they are still not as good as a stock ktm or polini 65.
if cash it tight find a 2002 or newer ktm 65. motors had very little changes and the good suspension started in 2002.

As far as the pw goes. if your kid is jumping at all get a new bike ASAP. you will quickly smash the lower steering stem race and the frame also likes to bend at that point. with the new forks you plan on putting on it will rake the bike out a little and putting the front end up slightly...this will make it easier for the frame to break unless you gusset the frame or raise the rear the same amount.

razor

Oct 24, 2007
Sorry. What I meant was the KTM 65. This is what he is working for. Well at least for half of it. Good ol dad, (me) is matching him dollar for dollar. I will have to wait and see how it holds up this coming year. He will do a few races through Feb and then in the summer. If it does not hold up, I will have to look for a ktm 50. I was planning on extending the rear also to raise the bike up evenly.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just a little FYI Jasle has a bunch of mini parent experience and kids that ride at LL so his advice isn't without a lot of real knowledge behind it.

razor

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I am going to order some springs and forks from cannon craft. I have heard good things about them and I will not have to modify anything except my wallet.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom