jb1dsl

Dec 21, 2006
i got my son a pw50 today and it has been sitting up for about two years. I put a new plug in, drained the gas, and cleaned it up. I tried to fire it up but no luck. I checked the spark and it was good. I sprayed some a little carb cleaner in the carb and it would fire and run until it used up the cleaner. What do I do next rebuild the carb? How hard is it to take apart and clean. Do i need a kit like a car carb or what? I have rebuilt lots of holleys so I think I can do this. Does anyone have a website that shows how? Can it be done without buying gaskets because i would like to get it running for christmas.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
jb1dsl said:
i got my son a pw50 today and it has been sitting up for about two years. I put a new plug in, drained the gas, and cleaned it up. I tried to fire it up but no luck. I checked the spark and it was good. I sprayed some a little carb cleaner in the carb and it would fire and run until it used up the cleaner. What do I do next rebuild the carb? How hard is it to take apart and clean. Do i need a kit like a car carb or what? I have rebuilt lots of holleys so I think I can do this. Does anyone have a website that shows how? Can it be done without buying gaskets because i would like to get it running for christmas.

You probably just need to tear it down and clean it real good.

You probably won't have to buy gaskets for it, most dirtbike carbs use rubber o-ring seals.

If you've done an auto carb, you should be able to do this one with your eyes closed.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Be mindful of the oil pump hose, otherwise it should be a really easy process. I would have to look up the specifics. I have the Clymer manual, and I am pretty sure it has all of the detail that you may need. I can scan some pages if you get stuck.

jb1dsl

Dec 21, 2006
well i pulled it apart yesterday and it fired up but I tried to crank it today before christmas morning and it wont start again? Should I tear it apart again tonight and try it. I can oull the plug and put gas on it and it fires up. It all seems to point to no gas through the carb. the bowl is full of gas so i guess maybe the needle is sticking?

I also have to put the switch half way between start and run to get it to run right, is this the signs of a switch going bad or normal?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Take another look at it. If the needle is stuck, it will either flood, or the bowl won't fill up, depending on where the needle is stuck at. Are you certain that the choke is working correctly? Try adjusting that mixture screw also, 1/4 - 1/2 turn might straighten it out.

The switch is normal, there is a way to make it run in start, or start in run, but that is more of a safety issue.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom