talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
I read about a K&N Filter that goes near the carb, which sound like you can remove the air box, but the only thing I can find is K&N p/n YA-8083. That part looks like a filter that goes into the stock air box. Am I missing something? Also, I thought you can just remove the exhaust restrictor plate, but some forums state you must drill it out. The bike is a 2005 if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Matt

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The restrictor plate is just a washer, you just pull the pipe from the cylinder and take it out. It is that simple.
The KN filter would be a universal clamp on sized to fit, it is not listed as a PW80 part.

talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for the response. I am kind of lost on the air filter. If I remove the air box, what does the filter clamp onto? Is it a flat filter or round. I am totally lost on this particular mod. Maybe I will just go with the K&N replacement filter as it is made for this bike.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have not performed this mod, but it is my understanding that the filter would mount directly to the carb. Take a good look at the carb. I am considering this mod, but I am not sure that I want such an exposed filter. You might also consider the swiss cheese airbox mod (cut holes in the box).

talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
I will probably put in K&N p/n YA-8083 and leave the airbox in as is (maybe some holes). We ride quite a bit in the California Desert which is quite dusty and I don't want to expose the carb.

Thanks again...

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Personally, I'd work with the stock box and maybe the K&N filter. We ride ours in some pretty wet spots and an ocassional creek crossing. Having the airbox sure does keep water out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom