Body Cast

May 2, 2004
I bought my son a used PW80 last year and have been doing some mods to it this spring to give it a little more go. So far I have put a fatty pipe and PC2 arrester on it, raised the needle clip 1 notch (as well as cleaned out all the crap in the carb), air filter and filtered vents in the box, 13 tooth front sprocket, and some boyeson power reeds.

The little bike goes MUCH better now and my son is really excited about it all. I must admit, I have become a little addicted to working on it cause it is so small and simple. With someone to help I can throw the whole bike up on the bench, work on it, then take it down and go annoy the neighbors trying it out. It used to be in pretty hard shape when I first bought it. It still needs to have the top end gone over but I'm not sure if I want to go that far with a PW80. I can hear piston slap. Does anyone know if that would make a big difference or can I just let that go?

Anyway, my real question is about the tires. The rear tire needs to be replaced. The stock one is a Cheng Shin 3.00-12 and I was looking around to see what other choices I had and don't see any other 3.00-12 size tires from other manufactures. There is however 80/100-12 size tires from several other makers like Michelin's Starcross. Is this a comparable tire size that I can use? I would appreciate any input.

_BudMan

Mar 4, 2004
My fault the quick link dont bring you to the tires they are dunlop 773 for the bike and cheap 17 for the front 20 for the back

Body Cast

May 2, 2004
PW80 Fatty Pipe

Yeah the pipe made a pretty good difference but yes $200 is alot. It did make it go better, look better, and sound much better though so I dont mind. The 13 tooth sprocket made the most difference for like $15 from dennis kirk. The pipe made the next best difference followed by reeds and air filter making little gains. It is still and will always be a kids bike though..only so much is possible. Thanks for the tire link.

Body Cast

May 2, 2004
Dunlop Tire purchase

BTW...I just ordered one of those $20 tires and a Kenda $5 tube (i think it is a tubed tire so to be safe) and $13 shipping costs. My $20 tire turned into $38 in a hurry :think: . Aint that always the way.

The way I see it... Even though it is easy to spend more into a bike with limited value, when you see the excitement the kids get make it all satisfying. Plus it is fun to make a neglected bike have a new life.

_BudMan

Mar 4, 2004
Dunlop Tires

Rocky moutain and Dennis Kirk both offer free shipping on orders over $100 . I usallay wait till I have an order .This time I need tires and brakes for my Harley so I'll sneak the kids tires in past the wife.I changed the rear sprocket on Pw80 I have the 15/45 But had to make brackets to get chain guard to fit .so you probley went the best route. And I had to change air filter ( went with Twin air) when I dropped the bowl there was sand and dirt stock filter sucks. Next I rebuilt forks .I bought bike new and there was no shock oil in where there was spose to be 2ozs i put in 2.5 ozs and added 1/2 by 1" long pvc tube to increase front preload and moved rear shock clip up one notch.The pipe I wait till sell an old DG pipe for a blaster I used to have on ****. Man These little bike are fun to work on and the kid has a blast .There no ktm 65 but then again there not no $3600+ otd either. Have fun. :thumb:

Body Cast

May 2, 2004
Fatty pipe vs original

The biggest difference in construction of the FMF Fatty pipe and the stock unit was the stock one has a welded restrictor for about an inch in the cylinder end of the pipe. It was about 1/2 inch in diameter compared to the full 3/4 or so on the fatty. The square boxy end before the spark arrestor on the stock pipe was absent on the fatty as well, but I think that just contained packing to keep noise levels down. I was really suprised to find the other external dimensions of the Fatty to be identical to the stocker. I have read on this site where people have either die-grinded or large-drill-in-drill-pressed this restriction out and had good success. It wouldn't supprise me if they had basically the same results for free. But then again, it still isnt shiny nickle plated :) . I have read post here too where some have modified there stock arrester for better flow but if you cut off some of the pipe in that make sure you make straight cuts or you can get a whistle (so I have heard).

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
hey budman,did you mean to post 15/45?thats a big change over stock.i was thinking of 14/35 on my kids pw. i have done the fatty pipe,airbox vents,reeds,michilen tires,early eighties coil,raised front and rear,and dropped down a tooth on the front.runs good even intight trails with big hills.just tonight i dropped in a new wisceco piston and rings and i can feel the differance in compression when turning it over,i cant statr it till tomorrow night to give the gasket maker time to cure.the reason i'm thinking of going to a 14/35 is the smaller sprocket up front is causing the chain to rub into the swing arm plastic cover.i just put on a new one and think going back to a 14 on the front and then jumping up to a 35 on the rear will get the chain off the cover and keep the same gearing i have now 13 /32

_BudMan

Mar 4, 2004
Gearing

Chistophe43,yes I went to 15/45 gearing I wanted to go to 15/43 But the place I ordered from did not have it.And I had to make spacers for the chain guard out of an old sign I had.The gearing is working good for us .With my boy who weighs 55# on it, he can spin the tire for about 10 to 15 feet .
I have a small track for him in my yard .he shifts down to first for the hair pins and second can carry him pretty good though the swooping turns.He hasn't figured out yet at a slow roll if he slides back on the seat and gasses it .It will wheelie and I am not gonna tell him. :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom