Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
A buddy of mine with the same bike as me has been having problems with his throttle sticking.. He trouble shooted for a while, replacing parts here and there to no avail. A bike shop talked him into buying a Keihin PWK39 carb for the bike, albeit he got it at a good price. I think he's silly for doing so, but that's his business. I'm just curious, what kind of performance difference will he experience? Stock is a PWK38 powerjet carb.
Personally, I would rather not have the power jet.. I think it's stupid and ineffective, at least to my seat-of-the-pants testing with having it unhooked. Just extra wires. Bah.:think

So anyways, will his bike haul ass with this slightly bigger carb? Any predictions?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I think he will lose some of that excellent low-end snap that KX 250's have so much of. The trade off will be that he will probably gain a few rpms up top.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I would not do it. The ignition would get mighty confused without the TPS and the powerjet hooked up and if the connectors got water on them, all hell might break loose. If you really want to do it, contact tom morgan and get the proper ignition without the TPS and powerjet leads.
My opinion, waste of money.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I took the power junk off of my CR (PJ based instead of PWK based) & put on a 39 PWK. Throttle response is way better, Low end is better.
I will never go back to a power jet.
As far as damaging your ignition, there is no feed back from the carb to the ignition in the first place.
Be sure to waterproof the dangling plug very well, or you can remove the whole system, keep the regulator and use it as accesory power to run things like a 25w headlight or heated handgrips.

Top Bottom