Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
I am pondering using a pyrometer to get my '01 CR250s jetting dialed in. Anyone have experience regarding target temp, max temp, and thermocouple location?

Thanks

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Search for a thread containing "tuning with EGTs" that was posted a while back. There is probably enough there to answer any question you might have. :confused:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Personally, I think seat of the pants is more accurate....well, I had to say that because I dont understand how you would begin something like this.

How would you choose a baseline measurement to start from?

If you can explain a bit more, I would appreciate the chance to learn more about the idea!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Supposedly the target temp is around 1200 degrees F. Pyrometer location will depend on manufacturer, most are anywhere from 2 to 6 in. away from the exhaust side of the piston.

We all know that a bike 'burns down' from getting to hot or lack of lubrication. EGTs can warn you of a lean condion burn down by illustrating the exhaust temps, kinda like your water temp gauge before your car overheats. On the flip side, too much fuel (running rich) and you aren't getting the max efficiency of the combustion process (unburned fuel left) which would result in lower EGTs.

Top Bottom