Lmister85

Aug 26, 2002
I have heard 2 different things about this but some people say to never use spray air filter oil but to only use the pour on. On the other hand I have heard some people say it doesn't matter. I would prefer the spray on because its easier but if its not good for your bike then I dont mind getting my hands dirty, so I was wanting to know if anybody knew anything on the subject.
Thanks!

SuzookKING

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2002
for foam type filters i use pour type for fabric type filters I use spray on. I keep pour style in a tupperware container for storage and use latex or vinyl gloves to handle the messy job of re-oiling foam filters.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The oil in the spray can is the same as the suff you pour on. The only problem I have seen with the spray kind is people tend to not spray enough on. It's important to saturate the filter and squeeze out any extra. Really soak it. It's not the item to be stingey on.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i have tried nearly all of them out there, my $5 spent on the pour type does about twice as many filters (and i do quite a few, fresh one every ride). i didnt get on with the UNI liquid, i am using the yamaha stuff right know and i like it. I used the maxima spray for a while, whilst it is very tacky (the most tacky i have ever used) i found it difficult to get the filter completely soaked through with it becuase of this tackiness.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
Did you guys ever use Air Filter Oil from Motul? Is it good?

I usually use regular two stroke mix oil in the filter. Is there a problem? The only one I see is from time to time a drop falls from the airbox vent hole...

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I see no logical reason why the spray wouldn't be as good as pour on. To the contrary, I think you get a much more even application with the spray. I'm pretty confident that I use enough (though I don't think I could actually wring/squeeze any out.) I can do about 3 filters with one can (large one).

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by RGalesi

I usually use regular two stroke mix oil in the filter. Is there a problem? The only one I see is from time to time a drop falls from the airbox vent hole...

:eek:

No GO! Your mix oil doesn't have the additives in it to give your filter the ability to grab particulate from the airflow. Don't pinch the pennies when it comes to getting a quality filter oil. Otherwise pour a tea spoon of sand in your carb, about the same results.

Phillip

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by linusb
I see no logical reason why the spray wouldn't be as good as pour on...
It is as good as the pour on as long as you get enough on. Just because the inside and outside of the filter has a coating of oil on it doesn't mean that the oil has gotten through to the core of the foam. You want the oil to be trapping dirt as it travels thought he foam, not just at the surface.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I really don't think that it matters if it comes out of a bottle or a spray can either. Cost and convenience is the only difference, one thing I would be concerned about is how thin they have to get the oil to spray. When all that solvent evaporates the coverage is probably going to be less than you actually think.

I use a bottle and a zip lock baggie . clean filter in clean baggie,add a generous amount of oil squish it around a bit for good coverage, cut a corner of the baggie and then squeeze out excess right back into bottle. I then try and do a balancing act of having the filter setting in the baggie to prevent dust from settling on it, but the baggie is opened to let the solvents escape, while over top of the garbage can to try and catch the drips.

I try and time my filter maintenance 1 - 2 days before I go riding so the excesss solvent evaporates yet the filter oil doesn't dry out and lose its tackiness.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by RGalesi
Did you guys ever use Air Filter Oil from Motul? Is it good?

i use it exclusively, and if coverage is an issue, it is the stuff to use. it comes out of the can in liquid form (like water really), and once you pour a bit on the filter, it is VERY easy to saturate all the foam. it take about 5 seconds to work it through. Squeeze out the excess liquid and thats it. it take about 5 minutes for the liquid to turn super tacky (additives in oil evaporate), but you really need to let the filter air out for a few hours to ensure all the additives are gone. if you don't, the bike will be hard to start, and will run bad).
so if your in a hurry, use one of the other ones but if you have the time to let it dry, give it a try!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I like using the BELRAY and pour it on, nice and tacky..Jmics, thanks for the tip w/the baggie,
RIck

Lmister85

Aug 26, 2002
Thanks a lot for the help, the only reason I questioned spray air filter oil is a race shop told me it was bad for your bike but then a lot of other people have told me its fine. I think I'm going to stick with the spray on for right now but once again I appreciate all the help.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
OH, MY!!!!

I though I was doing the right thing using the 2T mix oil in the filter. I wasn't absolutely doing that 'cause of the money...

I will start using the Motul stuff, then... Thanks a lot for the input, Phillip.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Your Welcome big guy, anything to keep the grenade going off in a bike ;)

Phillip

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I also use Bel-Ray foam filter oil. I like it because you can tell when the filter is totally saturated inside and out because of the blue color.
Little Jeff

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom