Question about choke circuit.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Upon starting, my bike revs to the limiter when cold, with choke applied.  Is this indicative of incorect pilot jetting?  I don't excessively foul plugs or hear detonation.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Rock,
sounds too me you might have an air leak.

Usually<from what I have seen anyway> if the bike starts fine cold with choke on or starts fine hot with choke off the pilot is relatively close.

If the bike is hard to start cold and yet starts fine with choke on when hot you are probably too lean on the pilot. If the bike starts fine cold but wont start when hot with no choke you are probably to rich on the pilot.

Higher than supposed to idle usually indicates lean. Now when you add choke it takes off , so somehow it is getting too much fuel <choke> and too much air<leak> making the engine think you have the throttle open. Although this might not be your problem just trying to explain what could be the problem and what too look for. Did you tighten the rubber boot on the carb when you tried changing jets? :eek:

Hope this helps
Jim

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Jim Dog: Bike will start first kick with choke off half the time. The funny thing is I went leaner on the pilot.

If it won't start on 3 kicks with throtle closed, cracked, or wide open, I turn on choke while covering the kill button. As soon as it fires I tap the kill button to keep the revs down and once I turn off the choke it idles a bit high but it's convenient because I can walk away from the bike while it warms up. Once the coolant is up to temp it idles normal, and there are no starting issues when it's warm.

I suppose the logical thing to do would be to check the float hieght and look for air leaks; perhaps I'll replace those cheesey clamps with the worm style.

A few months ago I got a propane torch and took off the magneto cover and gassed up the magneto. It was clean in there as well so I doubt it's the crank seal.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I just read an interesting post about the air screw , if the pilot is too rich and the air screw in tight that can cause the same problem. If the airscrew is 1 and 1/2 turns out from lightly seated and the bike starts fine hot or cold that is when you should be close.

Also when you took the torch to the magneto are you sure you didnt burn the seal behind it. I see your online shoot me a pm with your number again or call me if you have mine.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Ugh I just remembered I am only used to Mikuni carbs if you have a Keihin carb dont they have some funky choke knob/airscrew/idle thing. I have never messed with a Keihin so I am very unfamiliar with how that knob thing works.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Only some Keihin carbs have the funky knob. The PJ series ) have that knob. The PWM/PWK series have an idle circuit built into the carb and the choke knob doesn't affect the idle/mixture.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Jim, I didn't apply heat. I was only applying propane gas to a potential intake leak, and listening for RPM change.

I knew the PJs share the circuit which was why I asked. I'm wasn't sure about the PWK (even though there's a screw to ramp the slide to control idle speed)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…