MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by yardpro
Also if you can't find vp fuel locally, try aviation fuel. it is ~105 octane.

I don't know much about fuels, I only run Ammoco, Shell, Exxon, or BP super unleaded, but can avgas hurt your bike? I think I read here that avgas had something in it that didn't work well with bikes. I may be wrong, but I knoe Rich knows.

BTW, I wouldn't run any less oil than 32:1 any less then you mighr have more wear then you want. IMO

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
AVGas won't hurt your bike but there are much better choices for our use.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I thought so. I'll stick with 93 for now. Thanks Rich :D

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
As for me if someone dropped 10 free cases of MC-1 on my doorstep I'd pour in my gravel driveway to keep the dust down.

Have had 2 strokes since '69 - ran every oil there is to run starting with KLOTZ then switching to MC-1 when it first appeared back in 80 something. Ran it (and still do) at 50:1. - NEVER had any oil related issues/failures. Drop those cases off at my doorstep, heck - if you have any lying around, I'll promptly dispatch fed-ex to pick 'em up and even toss in a few bucks for holding 'em for me.

Regards

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
BMEPdoc said:
Have had 2 strokes since '69 - ran every oil there is to run starting with KLOTZ then switching to MC-1 when it first appeared back in 80 something. Ran it (and still do) at 50:1. - NEVER had any oil related issues/failures. Drop those cases off at my doorstep, heck - if you have any lying around, I'll promptly dispatch fed-ex to pick 'em up and even toss in a few bucks for holding 'em for me.

Regards

After 5 years of this thread sitting idle, I would imagine that his driveway is no longer an EPA Superfund site...

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
After 5 years of this thread sitting idle, I would imagine that his driveway is no longer an EPA Superfund site...

:laugh: My bad -- don't know what I was thinking - Perhaps Timothy Leary had something to do with formulating the MC-1 I've been exposed to all of these years.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Speaking of MC-1. I ran some in my bike for a while. Let's just say my powervalve was sparkling clean. Someone mentioned trouble with crown deposits while running it. I never made the connection until now, but after running a pint of HC-1 through my engine I went from a nearly perfectly clean piston crown to a fully covered in carbon crown. Further down the piston was spotless, the cylinder head was also spotless. I had previously been running all types of oil from Valvoline to Redline and had minimal crown deposits. I basically run whatever has a reasonable price and wont foul up my power valve. The price was right on a quart of Amsoil (<$10) and that is what I'll be running for the next 8 gallons of gas. My local motorycle dealer is a ripoff and charges $16 a quart for every oil they have in stock.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
These oil threads are amazing, the mythbusters should take this on for a miniseries.

90% of the new breed of oils are fine for 95% of the readers/posters on this board and others.
Pick a good oil that you can get regularly
Make sure it is designed for your riding style and application (125 pinner vs a 250 vet rider)
Pick a widely accepted ratio (32:1-40:1) - stick with it
Buy good fuel - stick with it
Jet the bike properly

Go and ride for hours of problem free operation. If you have problems with your oil choice or just can't get the bike right, begin your Own education on how oils affect combustion, do not listen to a dealer or the racer in the pits - research, then bug Rich for the real answers .. LOL

Top Bottom