Questions about PW 50 Training Wheels

crb

Oct 14, 2001
I am planning on fabricating training wheels for a pw 50. I was wondering how much clearance the actual tire on the training wheels have from the ground when the bike is perfectly vertical and the suspension is not being compresses? Thanks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I have seen many people make the clearance adjustable, that way you can put more and more as your rider gets more experience. You can either make like 3-5 bolt holes at different height positions, or have an open slider and just tighten the nut at different heights. Just remember, the lower the training wheels, the harder to turn. I would think 2-3 inches with the suspension compressed by the rider would be a good starting point.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Good idea nikki, I'll have to remeber that this summer if/when I get my daughter a bike.

For me it's not the training wheels I need, but rather a wheelie bar! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Unless the child just can't touch the ground you might be suprised how quick they find balance. I thought I might need to go that route because my son was still using outriggers on his peddle bike. After 10 minutes (yes really) of doing the PW50 waddle-ride thing he was fine.

crb

Oct 14, 2001
Thanks for the information to all who replied. I should be able to come up with something that will be safe, adjustable, and a heck of a lot cheaper that store bought.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…