Tomkinsa

May 28, 2009
I have a 2006 YZ250F. It is completely stock. I went out and bought five gallons of 110 race fuel. I put it in my bike hoping to get an extra edge but i got the opposite. Why wont my bike run this fuel. As soon as id give it gas it would die and wouldnt run without the choke on. Could it be its pre-ignighting? Please Help!!!!!!!!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Race fuel alone won't do anything to improve performance.

You should only run an octane high enough to prevent pre-ignition. Any higher, and you are wasting money.

Most stock bikes can run 93 without any problems.. If you were to modify the bike to increase the compression ratio, then you would likely need to raise the octane.

It's the increased compression ratio that gives you the extra power, not the gas.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Assuming that the fuel you bought isn't compromised or contaminated in some way, when you changed the characteristics of the fuel, you essentially changed the jetting as well.

Unless you are willing to spend the time to jet for the new fuel, you are just wasting your money. You are probably wasting your money either way just dumping a random race fuel into a stock bike without understanding it's specs, and knowing if the fuel spec is even appropriate for a 13,500 rpm engine.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
IndyMX said:
Race fuel alone won't do anything to improve performance.

You should only run an octane high enough to prevent pre-ignition. Any higher, and you are wasting money.

Most stock bikes can run 93 without any problems.. If you were to modify the bike to increase the compression ratio, then you would likely need to raise the octane.

It's the increased compression ratio that gives you the extra power, not the gas.

this hits it on the spot. I love when people think that the more they spend for gas the more hp they get. I like to add just a little bit of race fuel to my GSXR 1000 because it smells so damn good. gives people behind me a great aroma to smell while getting there butts kicked.. :nener:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
IT has to be the right fuel as I think a few people have pointed out. 110lead is not going to do a lot for a 4 stroke but keep out the ping.

Now a gas like the U4 on a stock crf450 I have seen dynos where just switching the fuel was good for up to 4hp. But it is an oxygenated fuel and that is what the 4 strokes like.

YOu also have to be careful with certain race fuels as they will turn to gelatin very quickly in the tank and the carb. I would suggest to drain the fuel from the bike and carb every use until you know what the fuel will do sitting.

Tomkinsa

May 28, 2009
Ya i drained the gas out and put 93 back in it. problem solved. I had no clue like i said i am new to all of this.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom