Lmister85

Aug 26, 2002
I was thinking of running a mix of pump gas and race gas in my bike for mx, and I have talked to some people about it and some 50/50 mix some say 3/4. But then I talked to a guy who does performance work here in Texas and said that when you mix pure gas with pump has it takes away from the performace of race gas. So basically he said ethier go with all race gas or all pump gas. But I really dont want to pay $5-6 a gallon for race gas because it would really add up in a week for me. So I want to know if any of yall have experimented with this and what your results where or if any of you have heard to not to mix pump and race. I appreciate your help thanks!

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Well I don't know about octane mixing and all... if you want an in-depth lecture on it, ask Rich :D
But obviously, if you mix high octane fuel with a lower octane fuel, you won't end up with the equivalent as the high octane, because you're starting to screw with your ratios..
You will end up with gas has a higher octane than the pump gas, but a lower octane than the race gas. Extactly where you break even is going to matter on your mix ratio...

I say if you want to mix half and half, go right ahead... you'll end up with something better than pump, and slightly lower than race... it's not going to hurt anything.

Senior KXRider, I would definetly agree it's a heck of alot easier to keep your bike running consistently if you do one or the other. When you start mixing things, you are changing variables, and that will mess with the consistency of your engine. If you're not super concerned about your "performance" I wouldn't think this should be a huge issue, although I have heard that straight race gas is much better for your engine...

(My advice is worth what you pay for it though :p)

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I can add another reason to why not to mix with pump, this summer at a race a bud mixed his gas 50/50 and ended up wasting 2.5 gals of race gas cause the 2.5 gals of pump fuel he got from the local gas station had like water in it!

Another way to describe mixing: Think of it like this your when you add pump gas to the race gas your basically diluting the race gas or in lamest terms making it crappier.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
You have to look at what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are not worried about tuning your bike to the edge of performance and your bike doesn't knock or collect water.<a lot of pump gas contains alchohol in my area>. Pump gas would be ok to save money

If you are not worried about tuning to the edge of performance and your bike does ping a little then you can compromise by adding enough race fuel to pump gas to control your pinging. A compromise is the combination of evils though the uncertainty of pump gas and the high cost of race gas.There is no magic formula only whatever works for you. SOMETIMES certain octane boosters might be enough to do the job at a more conveniant cost effectiveness.

If you have a modified engine and constantly are trying to be in that perfect state of tune then race gas is the best way to go.

The worst part of pump gas is that you can never truly know what you are going to get from week to week. If you mix race gas with pump you can have a decently safe concotion to run in your bike, but you still won't know what exactly it is. You won't really get a cheaper race gas, more of a higher grade of whatever it is than you aren't sure about.

if you click here http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index2.html?mgiToken=D031D802FD008242F you can see that there is quite a bit of differences between racing fuels and that the major benefit is finding exactly what you want and being able to buy it time and time again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom