Race Gas

YZrider111

Dec 5, 2002
Is it fine to put race gas in a totally stock engine? I just got a 2002 yz125 and was wondering if running race gas would be a bad idea?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Race gas would be a good idea, but it isn't necessary in a stock motor. You will get less spooge, more consistant jetting, and better throttle response. It will usually require a jetting change. VP C-12 is a good non-oxygenated Race Fuel for 2-stroke motorcycles. This is only basic information however, if you want some more info look for other threads on Race Gas (There are plenty) or do a search on it. Good Luck, I'm sure others will chime in here.

KXrider12

Sponsoring Member
Jan 2, 2002
I dont like to run pump gas in my bike, it makes the throttle feel spongy like studboy said. To answer your question race gas wont hurt a stock engine, just help.

B

biglou

It won't hurt it physically, but if improperly jetted, it may even give you worse throttle response than you have now. You may also have fouling issues, etc. You have to jet for it. Plain and simple. If you're going to spend the money on race gas, take the time and learn how to jet the bike for it and you will be happy with the results. Dumping race gas into the tank will not be a magic bullet.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yes to all of the above. if you are going to comit to a full conversion to race gas, you can get a few modifications to the cylinder head to get some more performance for only a small amount of cash. But, once you do this, you cant go back to running pump gas with the modded engine.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
yes to all the above plus the term race fuel is rather generic. There is a multitude of different blends. Having the correct blend for your circumstances,jetted correctly can give you a significantly cleaner crisper running bike that is easier to keep well tuned. That should give you a better feel in power and throttle response without having to try and tune out bad gas.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…