yz125j

Sep 16, 2007
hey guys i have a 2001 yz125. I want to set it up for racing next year. It has to be competitive with the 4 strokes. I would like all of your ideas on cosmetic and performance upgrades. Right now I have asv levers,renthal twinwall bars,renthal chain and sprocket, vforce 3 reed kit and OEM piston and rings. I want to put a wiseco prolite piston in it and get all white plastics and the yamaha of troy kit on it. Or if you guys come up with a better idea pleae tell me. thanks alot guys. Money isn't a problem so put all the upgrades you can think of. thanks alot guys

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The white plastic usually adds 3 or 4 HP and those graphics make it almost illegal. In order to make it competitive you need to practice and perfect cornering speed. As far as the bike number 1 thing to do (short of going 4 stroke) is to go big bore to the 144 cc level.

yz125j

Sep 16, 2007
i would do a big bore but at amature class you cant. i cant race fine i can jump and corner great but the 250fs get me in the straights. i want something thats gonna get me more boost. also i want my bike to look good haha. i dont have a single decal on it now and my plastics and messed up from learning how to ride haha. no that im out of my fallin all the time stage im ready to make her look nice.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Very few guys ever get out of the falling stage if they are really pushing to the next level- just gotta limit it to practice days.
I didn't pay that much attention to it because we have 4 strokes but i thought the 144 was legal in the amateur 125 classes. All things aside your physical size is the biggest determining factor in whether you can make a 125 competitive. We have guys in our district that are untouchable on their 125s but none are much heavier then 140 lbs
Good luck

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
144 kit and send the suspension to mx tech, then do all the foo-foo stuff! The white plastic rules! If you race against 250f's the 144 is legal, me I would go BIGGER!

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
no offense but the looks won't make you a faster rider. Neither will Renthal bars. Put a Pro circuit pipe or FMF pipe on that thing. You'll notice a difference. You may think you are a good rider right now but wait till you actually start racing my friend. Whole different Ball game. You say you are good in corners and stuff but are you actually?? There is good in corners and there is amazing in corners. Racers who have been racing a while are amazing in the corners and will blow right by you. Good luck though

yz125j

Sep 16, 2007
im not saying looks will make me faster but doesn't everyone want to ride something that looks nice? im 150lbs. 10 of my friends have raced since they were around 8 now were all 16. They are awsome riders and i can keep up with them on my track. also how much would it be for mstech to do my suspension? also i will probly get a 144 on it from eric if i can =) also would it be worth getting it ported/polished? thanks for all the help guys.

yz125j

Sep 16, 2007
how much would matience be with a 153? haha

EDIT: i was wondering at what age does the youth class stop? im 16 so would i still be youth?

Last edited:
Top Bottom