Race Sag (shock pre-load) measurements?

spursotexas

Sep 16, 2001
Any info on how to correctly measure race sag for the rear shock ?
I'm riding a 96' 360 mxc with the stock ohlins shock. My riding consists of desert, whoops (some 3-4 ft deep) and sand washes. I'm 160 lbs with gear. It seems that the seat keeps hitting me in the butt alot. I know I can tweek the suspension so the bike will handle better. Also for my weight what is the recommended compression/rebound dampening for stock 45mm magnum forks? Any recommendatiions for compression/rebound dampening for the shock? I know there is some experience out there!!! Please help. :confused:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Do search over in the suspension forum. I did a similar post there for set up on my 97 300exc and got lots of great info. In general what I learned for my bike was - sand set up takes lots of both rebound and compression dampening. Dialing in my sag at 95 mm worked well, but i ended up backing off preload a touch so ended up somewhere between 95 and 100mm. I hate to admit it - but i dont recall where i ended up on my clickers front and rear - but it was within a couple clicks of what had been recommended in response to my post. The end result for me was a dramatic improvement in how well the bike handles whoops and nearly every thing else.!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…