Race Tech Gold Valves install?

DavidZJ

Mar 26, 2002
Anyone install the valves on a 2000 CR250 or simmular fork? My question is how do you pull the dampping rod out of the assembly to get to the valve?
Thanks for the help.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Are you talking about getting the damper out of the fork, removing the damper top to get to the basevalve, or taking the damper rod out of the damper body to get to the mid-valve?

DavidZJ

Mar 26, 2002
I am not realy sure which valve will be replaced by the gold valve, that is kind of my question too. I know there is a valve under the fork cap but this seems like it would control rebound and not compression since the rebound adjuster is in the cap. So, I assume that the valve that will need to be replcaced will be the mid-valve? Will I need special tools to get to this valve?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Compression is on the top, rebound on the bottom on twin chamber forks. If you have a manual it details how to change/set the oil. It's not much more work to change the valve.

The only "special" tool needed can be made with a drill, hacksaw and a piece of flat steel. In a pinch you can use a wrench but it is much more likely to go flying across the workshop. The details of the tool are in the manual too.

DavidZJ

Mar 26, 2002
My bad you are right, sorry about the brain fart. That will be an easy install then.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
You can get the forks apart right?

Follow the instructions in your manual to get them apart to change the oil in the damper. The cap on the damper contains the base valve that will be replaced by the Gold Valve and their shims.

The midvalve is located on the damper rod inside the damper tube that the cap comes out of. You need to take the locknut off of the damper rod, wrap it in teflon tape preferably, and push it out of the damper tube to get to the mid valve. This is the valve they are telling you to convert to a check valve.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
On that special tool, I just use a 12mm wrench on the damper rod or a 16mm on the locknut itself to hold the rod out. I think this actually works better than the tool (I have it too)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…