Racing 2 stroke for 8 yr. old son

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Hello all. I have an eight year old son whom we started on a PW 50 three years ago. We bumped him over to a XR 50 last year and we are heading toward an Xr 70 this summer. He seems to be becoming a good rider. I am interested in getting him started MX racing. I am hoping you all would have some good advice for a starter racing two stroke. I am going to keep the 70 for our camping trips etc. but would like to have a two stroke to take to the local track and have him start learning to ride a racing bike. I really don't need a top notch bike right now. Used is fine. Just something to get him used to the different feel of the two stroke snap and shifting. Any and all suggestions would be useful. Thanks

Last edited:

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
how tall is your boy? if he is tall enuf for any of the 80's than any of those would be great (especially the cr or yz). if he isn't tall enuf then you get to choose between a KTM SX65 or KX 65...presumably you could get the KX in yellow as well. those are pretty much the only choices you have.

lemme give you some unsolicited advice on the XRs. keep him on the 50 as long as possible, skip the 70, and go right to the XR80. yoiu're not doing him any favors keeping him on a centrifugal clutched 3 speed for an extra season.

jeremiah

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
Ditto what BeerStud said about the XR80. Very, very few 8 year olds are ready for an 80 (none). Buy a used kx65, most boys can ride them until they're 11 years old. Unless your boy is an unusually big 9 year old, an 80 will be very hard for him to handle.

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
i just had the same problem as you, and i solved it by buying a used kx 60. i got a '93 kx 60 for $800 and it came with an extra cylinder which had been ported. plus, from '91 to present, the kx 60 have been the same, so you can feel good about buying an older bike and still having parts in abundance for it. also, i understand that berg racing makes an adjustable dog bone for these bike that can held lower the seat height if need be.

anyways, thats what i did.

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
If you go with a 80/85 i'd go with a RM. I read somewhere they have the best bottom end and have a powervalve something the CR lacks. Whatever you buy he'll love it.

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Thank you all for your replies. I took him to a dealer yesterday and sat him on a KX 65 and he can touch on it, just not flat footed. Very much on the tip toes. How much shorter is a 60? How much can the sag be dropped on a 65? I appreciate the comment about skipping the XR 70. I guess I just need to make him learn to use a clutch now instead of later. How tame is the powerband on the KX? If it isn't tame, can it be tamed? I apologize for so many questions. As I am sure you can tell, I never raced bikes. Hopefully, I can learn at the same time as my boy!

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
The KX60 is about 1 inch shorter. We looked at them for our son. Check out the KTM Senior and the Husqvarna Racer models. They have close to double the hp of his XR50. The 65's have closer to triple the power of the XR50, might be too big of a jump, the 65's could overwhelm him.

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
If you want to tame down the power you can... Jet it rich, port for bottom end and little top end, contrict air flow, and such. It's way easier to slow a fast bike down than it is to make a slow bike fast. I have a feeling he'll adapt quickly.

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
If I get a KX, what are your thoughts on it being used as a trail bike also? I guess if I could skip having one bike for the trails and one for the tracks, I would just go buy a newer (or new) KX. Aren't the KTM's quite a bit more expensive?

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
I don't see any reason the kx couldn't do trails. I use my RM for trails. The kx might be a little too pipey for the woods. But i'm sure he'll adapt.

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Thanks again for all the advice. I will just have to bear down and make a decision. We have a couple of months yet before we can get serious about riding again.

Sarge1

Feb 16, 2003
I think the KX 60 would be the best bet for you. I have a boy who's eight and he'll be moving up to the KX 60 this year from a LEM 50. He's a little small for his age so the bike is still a bit big but he rode it some last season. The average 8 - 9 year old should be able to touch the ground fairly well. It does have a pretty snappy powerband, but it can be controlled until your ready to ride the bike hard. And let me tell you...it's a blast for Dad to ride too!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My freind bought her son a kx65, he was 9 and kinda short for his age.. I taught him how too use a clutch and now the kid gets better and better.. I think the kx65 is a great bike, has a good suspension and brakes too.. I was advised on here to run it at 32:1, something about the crankshaft requiring alot of lubrication.. I think your son would be happy on one.. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted..
Rick

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
i would go with a kx65 they are good bikes i wouldn't go with any cr,yz,rm 80 or 85 because i ride ta ttr 125 L i am 13 and a good sized kid and they are about the same size

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
I thought I read somewhere that the KX and the RM are the same bikes. Is that true? If not, what are the differences between the two?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Joncy
I thought I read somewhere that the KX and the RM are the same bikes. Is that true? If not, what are the differences between the two?

You read right, only difference is the color of the plastics.  If your son can touch enough to be able to control the 65 on the trails I would stick with the 65 as he will outgrow that 60 much sooner.  I'm not certain but I'm sure a search in the mini forum will reveal some tips for lowering the KX65 if you need to drop it a bit.

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
there is a adjustable dog bone for the kx 60, and other bikes, offered by berg racing. i have seen them on ebay for $55.00, and from the website they are $80 or $90. i don't have one, but plan on getting one in march for my son's kx 60.

olddirt

Dec 17, 2002
I would recommend the kx65 if your son can already touch on his tip toes. Kawasaki makes three different dog bones for the 65 and you should be able to swap them out at your local dealer for free. My son was 8 when we got the 65. Unless your son is short for his age, I would skip the faster 50cc bikes. We ride mainly in the woods and he doesn't have any trouble. I would HIGHLY recommend having Eric Gore port the cylinder. It will take some of the hit out of the bike and move the power down lower. It makes the power smoother and helps with the throttle/manual clutch coordination. And, it can easily be modified when his skills improve.

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Olddirt, I am going to really show my ignorance here, but what are the dog bones? And, how much did it cost to have Eric Gorr do the porting? I agree with getting the 65 though. I would like to be able to get a bike he can ride for a few years instead of having to try and buy another one next year. He is growing at a pretty quick clip right now, so I think he will be fine with the height of the bike. We are going out again today to talk with some dealers and "try on" a couple.

Last edited:

Joncy

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2002
Olddirt,
You can disregard the question about the cost of porting. I just went and looked at Eric Gorr's website.

Top Bottom