patto3

Apr 8, 2006
firstly, get the gear, such as helmet, boots, armour, knee pads etc. Secondly, but just as important is to get your bike race legal, which includes numbers, bar ends, correct spoke tension, non-broken levers, pegs that spring back, etc.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I had and still have a similar question. I'm planning on participating in my first race ever May 6th. It's going to be a hare scramble.

I'm going by myself unless I magically make some new friends who ride dirtbikes near me :).

Can anyone more experienced chime in and talk about some often overlooked things that new racers tend to do?

I have the safety gear down pat, but I am really at a loss for exactly what to do to have my bike prepped and ready for racing.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
buy a neck brace and a mouth gaurd bieleve me it is worth it enless you dont mind missing teeth. i knocked 1 of mine out 2 years ago and it still hasnt grown back. J/K

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hot125mod said:
. . . a mouth gaurd bieleve me it is worth it enless you dont mind missing teeth. i knocked 1 of mine out 2 years ago and it still hasnt grown back.
who says kids today are dumb? HILARIOUS!! :rotfl:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
sixds said:
they are just little metal ends that go in your bar, so if you fall it wont reveal a sharp handlebar.
So the old fashioned rubber grips don't work anymore :coocoo: .
To prep your bike make sure you are up to date on ALL your maitanance, be sure every nut and bolt is torqued prpoerly, all grease points are greased, cables are adjusted, brakes bled, clean air filter, and did I mention ALL standard maitanence is up to date. Best way to prep is to go over the bike everytime you ride so you catch a problem before it gets to be a problem.
Now prepping yourself is much harder-

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Here's my experience on harescrambles (I started racing 2002 in Junior class, now I race expert so I like to think I have any idea of what I'm doing):

Here's my recommendations:
-Make sure your bike is well maintained. By that I don't mean it looks brand spanking new, but it should run well and everything should work at the beginning of the race (kill switch, brakes, etc).
-Have a good helmet, goggles or safety glasses (good for mud races), boots, gloves and preferably a chest protector and knee guards. I didn't have a chest protector when I started racing, but bought one after 1 race. They're definitely worth the money.
-For offroad, buy a drink system. You don't need anything fancy, just something with a reservoir, hose and bite valve. I use an ancient (10 year old) camelbak and it works great.
-I'd also recommend getting barkbusters if you're racing harescrambles/enduro/offroad. You'll pretty much never again break a lever, it saves your fingers in the woods and lets you bounce off trees easier.
-I recommend showing up early to the race. I like to get there early and just relax and bench race with other racers. The atmosphere at most races is really friendly so don't be shy, go talk to some people. Signing up early is also a good idea as most events offer a t-shirt or something to the first X number of riders. Souvenirs are always nice!
-Go to the rider's meeting. This is absolutely mandatory for new racers.
-Once the race is starting, get to the line and line up on your row. When they start the race (air horn, gun or for motocross, a starting gate), take it easy. You can't win a race in the first hour, but you sure can lose one.
-On the same idea, PACE YOURSELF. I get a kick out of the new guys. They go really hard for the first hour or so, then they're toast. I like to finish stronger than I start, so I'll hang back, take it easy for the first hour or so (keeps my arms from getting pumped up), then start upping the pace.
-Once the race is over, stick around for the awards. It's pretty entertaining and the offroad crowd is a great group to hang out with. Most races usually give out prizes randomly so you may even get some swag!

That's about it. The most important aspect of racing is to make sure you HAVE FUN. That's why we do this in the first place. If you take it too seriously, you're going to end up hating racing. At least that's my opinion.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Eat a good dinner the night before, a good breakfast and a banana before your race. Keep hydrated too (I strongly suggest you don't party hard the night before a race).

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
oldguy said:
So the old fashioned rubber grips don't work anymore :coocoo: .
To prep your bike make sure you are up to date on ALL your maitanance, be sure every nut and bolt is torqued prpoerly, all grease points are greased, cables are adjusted, brakes bled, clean air filter, and did I mention ALL standard maitanence is up to date. Best way to prep is to go over the bike everytime you ride so you catch a problem before it gets to be a problem.
Now prepping yourself is much harder-

you and speedy are right on the dot, especially this last statement :nod: .

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Rule 1:
Don't let the thrill overtake your skills. The most important thing is self control and decipline. All the preparation in the world will do you no good if you are wadded up into a tree or hay bale. Ride at your level, regardless of those around you. If you are better, you will make your way to the front. Riding over your head will give you the fast track to last or to the ER.
Rule 2:
Proper maintenance is important because it limits non normal wear and tear AND it allows you the chance to finish. You don't win if you don't finish. Refer to Rule 1.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom