Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
How good do you have to be to race? I am an okay rider but not great, I've never raced but I want to race really bad, but I don't just want to go out there and get run over. Any thoughts?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
If you want to do it then do it.
Depending on your age there are many classes which allow for beginners but the one holdback would be your XR100. Around our area it would have to race the 125 clas and would not be competitive. Check with your local track or district to see what you could race with it.

If you are really serious and want to upgrade the bike to a MX bike hit the track that you anticipate racing at a couple times for open practice so you feel comfortable there. The racing should be done for the fun of it and don't get down when you don't win . My son has been racing seriously for 4 seasons now and has yet to get a 1st place altho he usually finishes in the top 1/4 of the class. good luck and have fun

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
around here they have a mini-trail class. For 100cc and under trail bikes. I think you'd race wiht the 80's because thats what they race around here. Check wiht your local track and they'll tell you what class you will race in.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
at my track, the TT-R125's had to run with the 80's, but the XR100's could run in the 60/65's. that is, if you didn't have a complete, full-blown works xr150-in-a-cr80-frame bike. as to oldguy, wtf are you tawkin' about? an XR100 in the 125's? sheesh, i can beat a slightly modded TT-R125L in third gear on my clapped-out '92 YZ125!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Our district goes strictly by the CC's. Anything bigger then 85cc runs in the 125 class whether you bring an XR100 or a TTR125. The 4 stroke allowance only begins in the C class races (125 and 250). We don't have supermini either.
Another point in our district is that the big wheel 80 and 85's are not legal in the 85cc class. they also go to the 125 class.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
In the off chance by 'racing' you mean something in addition to MX, you would find your XR to be an absolutely killer woods machine in the Junior class, if you're sized for it. A harescramble will give you the feel for racing/competition without the vertical game to deal with at first.

Top Bottom