Radiator has sprung a leak!!!

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
On my brother's '98 KX125 the right side radiator has sprung a leak. At first, it looked like the radiator cap went. We put a new one on, but still the thing leaked. It's a very slow leak. After about 10 laps on the track, the coolant is still above the fins. It won't leak until the bike is good and hot. It won't leak at all when the bike is cold. After looking closely, it looks like the coolant is coming from right under the opening where you put the cap on. If you look at the tiny gap between the little cup where the cap screws on, you can see the coolant ever so slowly seeping out. Does anyone know of any fixes? We called a local radiator shop and they said if it's aluminum, they won't touch it....Any thoughts???

Nick

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
You might try a little rad sealant. Check at the local shops and see what they have. I've heard of people using pepper as well, haven't tried it myself. A few years ago I ripped the bottom tube right out of my rad. Had it welded back together at a local shop, cost me $20, still works fine. You just have to find the right guy to do the welding.

Bruce

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
send it to one of those rad shops in the back of dirtrider...they specialize in dirtbike rad's.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Don’t use rad fix it will reduce the efficiency of the rad. Yes a decent ally welder won’t have a problem. A bad one with equipment unsuitable for thin wall ally ‘Won’t touch it’.

You can perform minor leak repairs with epoxy. The trick is to have the area dry & cleaned with say brake cleaner or meths & to open a fillet up that you can push epoxy into so it has a key & ideally mushrooms both sides so can’t fall out. When my father showed me this I realised why Dentists charge so much.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Well...This is pretty embarassing, but I found the problem....

:mad: :think :mad:

We took the radiator off for another inspection. I am looking around the cap, and hmmmm, I see the vent hose filled with antifreeze. I think, gee, that's funny. I look down, and the thing is packed full of mud about half way up! DUHHHHHH! Since it was clogged, it was not able to breathe. Creating too much pressure. And of course a radiator releaves such pressure through the cap!

Needless to say, I cleaned it out, and it works fine. Went the race yesterday, didn't leak a drop.

Can you say DUUUUHHHHHHH??

What a dummy! At least it was a cheap fix!
:scream:
Thanks guys for the input...

Nick

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…