RB carb mod temp and elev tolerance questions

menujet

Apr 12, 2002
I've read a lot of the threads on the RB carb mod - great stuff ! Many thanks to those willing to share their experiences. I think I am ready to do the carb mod and the head shave to my '96 200. But, I want to understand how much twiddling I might expect for typical changes in temp and elev during a given day's ride .

For example If my ride starts at 50F and sea level and ends at 75F and 2500 feet should I expect to change anything to maintain good performance for trail riding? I have the JD jetting tool so I can see the affect of temp and elev on relative mixture. I understand that the RB modded carb is "more sensitive" to temp and elev changes than stock, but how much more?? For example how much can a modded 35mm take before it falls out of the window? +/- 1, 2, 3, 5%???

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I have the stock carb and do not have JDs jetting guide, but by my seat of the pants experience I'd be thinking 1 main jet size for the temp change and 1 main jet size for the elevation change. That's a conservative estimate. You may need to drop 1 size beyond this. Your bike will let you know. The spooge will increase and the bike will act rich when you make slight throttle decreases when under a load. It's hard to explain, but it'll kind of cut out slightly when getting off of the throttle. The air screw, I'm sure, will need to be leaned a little, but that's a big deal on the RB carb and since I don't have one I can't help you there.

I know that's not a very hi-tech answer, but I'm kind of a seat of the pants guy when it comes to jetting. I just stick two or three leaner jets in my fanny pack and change them as the bike tells me I need to.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I do have the RB modded carb. Well, not the oem pwk but an airstryker (for the sake of reference).

What you list as ranges won't have you changing any brass at all. The airscrew on one of Ron's modified carbs makes a much larger change than it does in the oem configuration.

Do yourself a favor. Have Ron put in one of his finger-adjustable airscrews. Yep...it's another $20, but it's a great timesaver when it comes to tweaking the airscrew on the trail. Heck, you can tune it while you're riding!

This is not to say that you won't notice a difference in performance. It won't be a whole lot of one, though. A common scenario for a ride 'round here would easily see 40º temp changes and close to 4000'el. change, too. If you're picky enough to want to keep everything ship-shape, you would want a jet change of maybe a size or two during that ride. The airscrew will do a good job of keeping your bike running well though. Consider jetting to be perfect all the time and you will still be able to tell differences in performance with air density/elevation changes you're dealing with.

Cheers!

BTW..the reference to 'head shave' is curious. It's much more important to correctly modify the squish band than it is to simply remove metal from the head/cylinder surfaces. Ron does head modifications, too.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got a 220 with the airstryker and ride temp changes of about 30 to 35 degrees some days and elevation changes of 2 to 3 thousand feet. To date, once I had set up the carb brass, I have not had to adjust anything. Oh, sure, I could play with my fancy thumbwheel air screw I paid RB for, but I'm content with all the power I have, that I usually just leave it alone. I've jetted so it is right on at my highest elevation and warmest temperature so that I will be slightly rich everywhere else. That way I don't need to worry about being too lean at anytime.
With this setup, seat-of-the-pants tells me there isn't enough difference in power to concern myself with.
Checking spooge and engine temp. is my usual method of determining if I am running too rich or starting to get a little lean.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
skipro3, Don't you mean that you jet it for your LOWEST elevation and COOLEST temperature so that it will be a little rich everywhere else?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
It's true....I'm not so bright.
I'm jetted for my lowest riding elevation: 1800 ft. and coolest riding temp at that elevation: 45 F. (gets colder but then I go ski)
Then when I ride higher and warmer conditions, it gets rich, sure, but it isn't much.
Also, I use race gas and can jet very tight at this elevation: 140 (142 maybe, I can't remember) main, CEK on leanest clip and pilot of 35. Most folks I have read on here don't jet this lean at any elevation.
One last note: My head was reshaped and volume reduced to work well with race gas. California pump gas is too unpredictable between fillups to jet reliably so I desided to take advantage of that by getting the head reworked by RB. I'm sure it is the characteristics of this fuel (VP C-12) that gets my jetting as lean as it is. Now spooge on the tail pipe is only a thin layer of dark ash after a 50 mile ride with only a very slight increase at higher / warmer conditions.
Engine temps vary between 197 F and 205 F.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…