mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
I have a 1991 kdx 200. The carb needs a rebuild (leaking from the bowl at least). I was considering instead of spending almost $100 on rebuild kit and new jets just getting a new Keihin PWK 35mm air striker (about $200).
How much trouble is it to swap this in? RB lists it as an option.
Can I expect better performance on a mostly stock 1991 KDX?
What are the best places to get rebuild kits or new carbs (price and service)?
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I could not find it.
thanks

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The best thing to do is just take it apart and see what needs replacing. If the bike is running now, it's likely you don't need to do much more than clean the jets and bowl, set the float level, and replace the o-ring seal for the bowl. You can find those individual pieces for just a few bucks.

If you're just itching to replace/upgrade it, your best bet would probably be to send it off here ( http://www.rb-designs.com/ )and let them work their magic. Lots of good feedback on their mods. I have no personal experience with them, but if I had the extra cash I would not hesitate to send my carb off to them tomorrow.

http://www.rb-designs.com/

J.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I think it is that high because he has performed his mod (36mm bore and plate). I keep hearing people talk about the Air Striker, but I can't find any info on what having an Air Striker does for you.

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
Did you have to rejet the carb from the stock jets? Did it require different jets form what you were running on the old 35mm?
I have removed the snorkel and have an FMF fatty and Powercore. Curious what jets I should order if I am ordering a carb.
Any thoughts? Texas (@500 ft elevation temps of 40F and up only)
thanks

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
My 94 leaked out the bowl. I bought a new o-ring, and leveled the top of the bowl with a file. It had warped somewhat so that it was gapping between the bolts. Took about 10 min and I took the high spots down a little and it seals fine now and I haven't had any issues with it over the last year.

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
Choke was broken off in the carb. Possible that it had damaged the carb.
I wanted to be 100% sure that everything was in order. Now all I should have to do is maybe check the float level and jets.
So does anybody know if this thing will work as shipped or will I need to look at the float level and jets?

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
settings on stock PWK 35MM S65 are
main#160 slow#48 needle 48DEK throttle valve C.A.4.5

At 400 ft of altitude with snorkel removed and FMF Fatty pipe and power core exhaust, do these sound close?

hrsey71

Mar 16, 2009
hi i have a carb problem with my 91 kdx 200. the bike is stock with a pro circut pipe and fmf silencer. stock carb with 48 pilot and 150 main. the bike idles but the idle screw is turned all the way in with no change in idle. also the bike smokes a little more than normal. any suggestions on what it could be? it has a fresh top end rebuild

Top Bottom