Read if your kid is just starting to ride

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
I had to ramble on here and give some advice to parents. I get tired of the focus on the forums being on performance, and nobody talks about the RIDER. If you are starting JR off ridding/racing and you want him/her to be TALENTED and LONG TERM and not just LOCAL fast than here are some suggestions. Step one........don't ever look over at the other guys bike and wonder if his kid beat you because it has the snazzy new pipe. 99 percent of all riders cant use 100 percent of the bike. Beat into JR's head that it's the BIKE and not the rider that's important. Teach JR the basics, body position, cornering skills, etc.....when he/she comes in last place but does all the little things correctly then he/she won. I saw so many kids when my son was on 50's wiz by him at the races sitting down, feet all over the place....and now they race 6 months out of the year and heal the other 6 months and arent even in the same class as him. The point is stick with the basics and have fun and you'll catch up and pass the FACTORY 50's in due time....ok bring on the hate mail

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I totally agree!
At the gate if you don't think you're gonna win, you're allready beat.
It's a mental thing.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I agree on the Rider and his skills being of more importance at this level as long as the scoot he has is semi competitive for his class. As an example of the other side of the situation my son started riding mx this year and he was on a 02 TT-R125L and attending classes with the 80's and every class I watched as my son did the drills correctly and IMO outrode or at least equally rode with the other riders and then just drop his head in disgust as they rocketed down the straight leaving him eating roost for the next corner. I immediately thought about getting him a 02 YZ85 but thought better of it and found a great deal on a 99 KX80 which has been more than enough bike for him to keep up with the other new riders on their 02's full of add on's. I think once JR is competitive in his class the add on's can add confidence to him as he "feels" he has the best bike in the class and rides like he should be the best rider in the class. This however is merely a confidence thing and is never a substitute for learning the proper skills. The other aspect I'm sure you will hear voiced here is "hey if I can afford the cool looking trick parts and enjoy decking out my son's or my scoots what do you care?" One lesson that I try to ingrain in my son in any sport or life endeavor is that if the other athlete beat you odds are he outworked and outprepared you for battle and that no special equipment or bias from an official cost you the victory (hockey players love to moan about the officials after a loss :) )

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i agree... the other day i was out at a popular riding spot and challenged a guy on a cr80 to a "race" on a makeshift track. i beat him bad. the guy had a fmf fatty and other bolt-on goodies, and a KNOBBIE TIRE!!! i (still havent gotten a new tire, it is looking like a street slick :eek: ) the 35-40' double was shortened to about 10' by him, and kept at about 35' by me. i am not by any means a good rider (i guess) and my bike is a tad uncompetitive, but rider confidence and skill has a lot more to do with winning than bolt-on aftermarket goodies. the guy was sitting down until the front tire left the lip, and he sat down as soon as the front tire hit the ground, resulting in a few almost-painful but time-consuming crashes. but yet there was a guy on a kx65 that out-jumped me and out-turned me too. :eek: he had his dad as a coach, though. any time i ever made a corner faster than him he went to his dad and afterwards i was left eating 65cc roost. :)

what i am trying to say is it all comes down to rider skill in a motocross race, and i am sure all other types of racing.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This brings up an old post I keep handy to remind parents what dirtbikes are really about for our kids;

Contrary to what you will no doubt infer from the following lines, my
father is a great man-not a jerk. He served two tours of duty in Vietnam
and started a third tour before getting injured. Racing motocross is what I
wanted to do since my earliest what-I-wanna-be-when-I-grow-up thoughts. He gave me that opportunity when I was 11 years old, and I will always be
grateful to him for it. My dad, like any good parent, wanted me to have the
opportunities he never had, to live the dreams he never go to, but sometimes
he got so wrapped up in his dreams for me that he forgot about my dreams.
Eventually I got the chance to race my first race in the 80cc Beginner class at De Anza Cycle Park. I got dead last in both motos and I loved it!
There was just something about leaving the start gate with 15 other riders
that got my adrenaline going-so much so that I looped out right out of the
gate in the second moto in an attempt to get a better start. I loved those
days. I loved getting up in the morning too early to open my eyes to drive
to the track on the weekends. I loved riding motorcycles.
It was rather infrequent at first, but sometimes, especially at the bigger
races, if I didn't do well, my dad would say some mean things to me. He
would say things like "You're worthless" and "Why did we drive out here so
you could ride around the track like a wimp on a Sunday ride?" He started
to forget why we were doing it. It was supposed to be for fun and bonding,
but he actually, genuinely got his feelings hurt if I fell or rode poorly in
a race.
I came off the track at Perris Raceway during the Night Series after
finishing midpack. I knew I'd had a poor race, and I knew my dad knew it
too. I had pretty heavy arm pump, and I was expecting to hand over the bike
to him in the pits so he could put it on the stand, and I could get my gear
off. I knew he'd be upset. I parked the motorcycle next to the stand and
watched as my dad walked up-I could tell he was pissed. As I reached down
to turn the gas off, I heard a loud smack inside my helmet. I almost fell
off my bike. My dad had delivered an open handed blow across my head-helmet on, of course-but he was that upset-so upset that he hit me.
Racing never really got the fun back for me. It's had a negative connotation in my mind since I was in my very early teens. All because, ultimately, my dad wanted me to be Jeremy McGrath more than he cared about having fun. I wasn't around when Jeremy was coming up through the ranks, but I could almost guarantee you that Jeremy's father never screamed at him for losing, or threatened him in any way. That's part of why he is where he is, at the top of our sport.
If you don't think your child tried hard enough, or cares enough, he's not
going to try any harder or care any more if you force him to. Actually, it'
ll probably have quite the opposite effect.
If you're a mini parent, you can take it from me that what your kid wants
most is to have fun. Chances are that he or she won't ever ride a factory
bike, and chances are even better that you'll never get the money back out
of motocross racing that you put into it. The focus should be more on
whether or not your kid has a smile under that helmet, and less on whether
or not your kid beat so-and-so's kid. It's ridiculous to spend college-tuition money on racing in the hopes that some day Junior will sign a multimillion-dollar contract to race motorcycles.
Little 12-year-old Timmy isn't racing for the 250cc Supercross
championship. He's racing for fun.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Great post Oldguy, as an amateur hockey coach I see what may be the worst side of some of the nicest people otherwise and that is the "hockey parent side". It has been my experience and this is just my observation and certainly not based on any study or anything but the worst offenders generally seem to be the parent's who did not play the game as kids or were very lacking in their abilities. As a very new "mini parent" I am trying to take the same approach to MX as I do for hockey with my son and that is to give him the best opportunities to succeed while stressing that it has to be fun or it's not worth doing!

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Coaching and the seat time working on proper techinque is more important than aftermarket bolt ons. However, one mod that I think is necessary and most important is spending the time and money to get the suspension dialed in and setup for the rider. This is regardless of riding skill.

If the suspension is setup and working correctly, the rider will have more confidence in the way the bike handles and thus have the confidence to rider it at a faster pace.

I love to see the really good riders go out and dominate a race on a basically stock bike. These are the kids that I have my son watch. He learns that proper techinque and corner speed are much more important than mods to his bike.

However, when it comes time to replace an OEM part due to a crash or wear & tear, then I'll look at an aftermarket item that will help to increase the motor's performance and at the same time save me a few $$$ in my wallet.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
great post oldguy. I'm goina steal it and repost over on gomxracing.com if you mind drop me a note and I'll delete it.

Jason

dragonmx

Mar 18, 2002
OldGuy, Hope you don't mind, I reposted it over at KTMtalk.com on the minis forum. Thanks for the reminder!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
You da Man Old Man....... Guy

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
geezus, i meant rider not bike....i REALLY need to proof read!!!

click on the "edit" at the bottom right of your post if you want to change the words ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…