Reading a piston

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I just did a topend job on my '99EC200. Below is a photo of the piston. My take on the read is that all looks well, but I'd like to hear from the experts.

History, this is the original piston and it has 1.75 years of use. New rings were installed about 6 months ago during a bottomend rebuild. At that time it was deemed that the piston was still looking good but should be replaced when I did the topend by midsummer.

Attachments

• ec200 piston.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 245

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Lemming it looks like the piston may have been running on the cool side suggesting that your jetting is rich.

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Well there's no doubt that I tend to err on the rich side with my jetting.

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
well the jetting was for sure ritch...hence the carbon build up on the top of the piston...what does the side look like?

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Ask and ye shall receive :silly:

Attachments

• ec200 piston bottem.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 175

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Side view.

Attachments

• ec200 piston side view.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 178

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
well the jetting was for sure ritch...hence the carbon build up on the top of the piston...what does the side look like?
You guys havent aclue what you are talking about. The carbon builds up from heat. A bare piston with a small spot underneath the plug indicates it is way rich. A motor that is jetted close will have a piston that has a light brown carbon pattern over the entire dome with the exception of a few thumb nail size spots where the tranfers enter at.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Lemming - It looks good to me, but then I've spent the week looking at locomotive pistons that are in pieces. :scream:

You should have seen the one I pulled out of my EC250 after overheating at a hare scramble last April. After 1.75 years it's time to measure/hone the cylinder and install a new piston kit.

---Woods

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Ben, is the reason for the diagnosis of running rich due to the rather large "bare" spots around the perimeter?

Woodsy - the new piston kit was in before the photo was taken. I just wanted to get a read to see if, in general, my jetting was ok.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…