Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
After riding with Jeff Fredette and taking a spin on his KDX, I am seriously contimplating buying a KDX. I currently ride a KTM 450EXC, which is an awesome machine. The only problem I have is when I have to pick it up off the ground. I want a lighter bike! I don't notice the weight when riding, but when I have to pick it up on the side of a hill it kills me. I'm 5'7", 150 pounds with a not so strong back.

I mostly ride relatively tight woods, very little open stuff and occassionally race enduro/harescrambles in the Vet B class. I saw on a web site that the KDX supposedly weights in at 222 pounds. I don't know if that is one of the phantom weights that are some times posted or not. I am interested in the ready to race weight with or without gas. If with gas.....how much does the tank hold?

I am also contemplating a 300exc, but that may be another story.

Thanks

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Well,
Figure 222lbs, plus a couple pound in oil, and then about 20-30lbs in fuel, it should tip the scales about 250-260. Still lighter than the 450

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
A 300exc weighs in the neighborhood of 232 lbs ready to race without gas. So based on your calculations the 220 is still lighter and holds between 2.4 and 3.6 gallons of gas.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
I think most weight numbers are fudged a little by the manufactorers. Seems to me Dirt Bike weighed a KDX ready to go w/o fuel at 234 or 235 or somewhere in that range.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Want a light bike that absolutely rips? Take a 200 EXC out for a spin. I had a KDX-220; great bike, but the KTM is lighter, faster, and slithers through the tight stuff nicely. It will not have the low-end torque like you're used to on the 450, and will require more shifting, but it's a blast to ride. FWIW, I'm 5' 9" and 180lbs.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The "DOG" is scareing you into a pumpkin patch... Dont be afraid... Stay over here in the green paddock. :laugh: Just jokes guys the pumpkin is a very nice ride. My mate who is of equal skill to myself cant get near me at all on his 03 200exc through the real tight, nasty stuff though. Everywhere else its pretty even. Mine isnt stock, his is... Either way you go it will feel like a bicycle in comparison to the 450. :ride:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
There's no doubt the KDX turns effortlessly in the tight stuff. In fact, I was so used to how the KDX handled, I initially HATED the KTM in the tight stuff. The bike had a mind of it's own, and I couldn't get it to turn worth a damn. Like a wild Mustang that's been tamed, I'm dialed into how to ride the KTM now and how to treat her. She likes to be ridden fast, and that's were she shines over the KDX. While the KDX flex doesn't hold you back that much in the slow tight stuff, in the faster tight stuff, and when it opens up, the 200exc is rigid, precise, and stable. Flick, point, and rip is how I describe the feeling.

Besides, overall weight isn't as important as how the bike "feels" when riding.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I owned a 200exc for two years. Yes, it's a great bike, but not for me. I was faster on it then the 450 or at least it seems that way. On the other side though your talking to a guy who nearly had to give up riding due to an old back injury. I sold the 200 bought a DRZ and started putting around instead of trying to go faster and faster all of the time. My back slowly started to gain strength again and soon the DRZ wasn't race enough again. In comes the 450exc.....awesome machine and the weight doesn't bother me when riding. It's the picking up part that kills my back. Not so much on nice even ground as when I'm in an awkward position. Two herniated discs tend to do that to a guy.

The 200exc requires to aggressive of a riding style for me at this point. Although I think it would be very tough to beat for anyone who rides aggressively in tight woods. The KDX just seemed tamer, but with Jeff's mods had more power than expected and the suspension felt great for the little bit that I rode it.

Keep the input coming. I'm still strongly considering a 300exc and that is probably the way I will end up going, but I'm yet undecided.

Thanks

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
JasonWho,
A KTM is a KTM, but all of the bikes you listed have very different characteristics. The 200 is much more "high strung" then say the 450. The 450 has a lot more power, but it is very controllable power and allows the rider to be a little lazier. When riding the 200 I had to really attack challenging hill climbs and I had to be very mindfull of my body position at all times. In reality it made me a better rider. The 450 still requires attention to proper riding technique but it is much more forgiving. It's the whole 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke thing. The 300 is supposed to be like a crossbread between the two. Impressive bottom end luggability with good roll on power yet maintaining the snappiness associated with two strokes.

I felt like the KDX had good low end power and was plenty snappy, although it would require a much more aggressive riding style to climb hills then the 450 and probably the 300. The KDX was much tamer then the 200, which has a pretty good hit for a woods bike.

The price of the KDX is very alluring and Jeff's bike was a nothing to sneeze at. It just seems as though no one except Jeff considers it a serious race weapon. Don't get me wrong I trail ride much more then I race, but we don't normally just putt around when we trail ride.

Whew!! My fingers are tired.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I had two herniated discs since '99 and was riding an XR 600 since '94. It kept getting harder and harder to lift, I know what you mean. I sold my 600 and bought a 200 KDX last fall because of exactly what you're talking about. What a difference. Still haven't got to ride the 200 yet because of a totally blown out back, but even moving the bike around around the garage is night and day from the 6 hunny. It's a keeper!

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
My modified '02 KDX 220 cost me almost as much as my '04 KTM 300 EXC - $5,300 not including tax. Both are great bikes. The KDX does not vibrate as bad as the KTM and it turns sharper. It is easier to ride in the very tight areas. The KTM will do fine in the tight stuff also (with a 52T rear sprocket) but your hands tend to go knumb from the vibration.

What I love about the KTM: Flat seat allows you to move weight forward without smashing your xxts, awesome suspension and brakes, well balanced and easy to jump, more stable at fast speeds, more torque and less shifting and less wheel spin than the KDX, very mellow hit, cost the same as a highly modified KDX but with better resale. Imagine a KDX 300 in a KX frame with a great woods-friendly suspension. That's what the KTM 300 EXC is.

What I like about the KDX: turns great, soft seat, great gas mileage, low vibration, snappy throttle response (with RB Designs carb). I don't race, and I don't ride extremely hard all the time, so I would be happy on either bike. However, if I had to choose just one, it would be the KTM because it just handles better when pushed harder, therefore I feel more in control. Fortunately I get to have both of them, at least until someone offers me a decent price on the KDX.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Monkey Butt said:
I am interested in the ready to race weight with or without gas.

2002 KDX200
-- FMF -35 pipe
-- FMF TCII silencer
-- Utah/Moose skidplate
-- EE barkbusters
-- Tag X-5 mini-high bars
-- WER damper
-- FRP chain guide
-- RK X ring, alum rear sprocket
-- Ultra HD tubes F&R
-- odometer, cable & bracket, kickstand, headlight, taillight & wiring removed

Front: 111 lbs
Rear: 127 lbs

... with dry tank.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I actually had mine weighed at a feed store's scale. the guy told me it was calibrated to 99% accurancy in the 0-500 range - so this should be pretty close.

KDX200
Aftermarket pipe
Aftermarket silencer
Skid Plate
Alum Bars
Alum barkbusters
Allow Rear Sprock
Kenda 257's
Heavy Duty Tubes
Lots of Slime

Full tank of fuel - ready to race - 266 pounds. FUel should have been 21 pounds - so that is about 245 with air in the tank.

sn

Thats it.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Thanks for all the feedback. You KDXers are a pretty good bunch of guys. The coolest thing is that no one even took offence to the mention of a KTM.

BTW if I were to buy a KDX it would be modified by Fredette to match his current ride.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
There are no egos here - cant have one if you ride a KDX.

BTW - I (like many others here) have a KTM in the garage as well. I ride the KDX because it is a blast and I am C rider fast (that is a relative term) on it.

There is no other bike that I feel as comfortable on. I have tried some of the very best out there and ride the KDX by choise, not out of necessity or lack of options. I zipped around on a new X 20 mins last month and could not wait to get back on my bike.

Not to worry folks - but 2005 may be the sunset year for the KDX. You know that the Green X is right around the corner.

sn

Top Bottom