Really Confused on Carb Jetting

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
I have been reading many suggestions on how the KDX is set rich from the factory. While I'm not looking for the absolute best peak set-up, a good starting point would be nice to know.

I have a 2002 KDX 220 with the modified air box lid. According to the service manual supplement I have a 145 main jet, a R1173L2AFLP needle jet, a 42 pilot jet, and the jet needle is in the 3rd grove from the top.

Reading many posts here as well as Canadian Dave's site suggets a 42 pilot jet, the stock 1173L jet needle in the 2nd from the top clip position, and a 142/145 main air jet. Some of the other postings here recommend a 152/155 main air jet with the 42 pilot jet. Isn't this going richer?

So, how far off can my factory stock carb settings be that makes it run so rich out of the box? (according to many posts here on the site). Does one clip position make that much of a difference? Is the factory manual wrong?

I do get quite a bit of smoke and the plug fouls quickly but then again I'm only going slowly in 2nd gear and sometimes into 3rd. I'm using the Kawasaki oil. I'm going to try the amsoil or mobil 2 stroke oil and I do plan on doing some WOT chops and look at the plug.

Any comments on if I'm running rich with the stock set-up?

Thanks guys -

Mark

125 pro

Jun 27, 2004
you need to read the plug
if it is black and fouled then it is to rich go in the next lower number main jet
if it is white you are way to lean and need to go up to the next number main jet
what you want is tan or light brown this is where you start
then adjust up or down to make the bike pull the way you want
there is no magic setting on a modified racing motor or slight mod motor
the factory setting are average to all conditions thats all

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Mark,

Jetting can be very confusing. Understanding what is going on in the carb helps greatly to better understand what to do. Please go to this article http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html
I expect this will help you. Also check out "Canadian Daves" and "Pit Bull Racing". You have already been to Canadian Dave's I see.

After you get through the article on carb tuning and feel you have a basic understanding of what is going on put in the jet scenario recommended from either Canadian Dave or Pit Bull. From there start fine tuning. You may need to go up or down in sizes or needle position, as a remote possibility maybe a new slide with more of an opening. But armed with the knowledge of what is going on and a recommended starting point for jet sizes you will be able to dial it in.

Usually when I am chasing my tail with jetting there is something else wrong. Air Filter, Compresion, Plugged Exhaust, or something like that.

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
Recommendations

I do understand the proceedure, I just have to find a place to ride where I can get fast enough to do the plug chop.

My questions is more around the common statement that the KDX is set way too rich from the factory and then most of the recommended starting points to get close to correct settings seem to be what came stock on the bike. The difference between what came stock and what is recommended by Canadian Dave (and many others) is possibly one main jet size too big and the clip in an incorrect position. This too me doesn't seem that far from factory.

What is more interesting is that in reading the KDX manual, the settings for the KDX200 carb are way richer than the 220. Tell me how this makes sense. Smaller motor equals more gas to Kawasaki - I definetly do not get this one.

Thanks again -

Mark

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Mark it has been my experience that most manufacturers ship their bikes with conservative jetting. Meaning a little on the rich side. Running rich keeps the engine cooler and lessens the chance of seizure. Almost every bike I have owned has been this way. They all required rejetting once I got them. I usually take the jetting to the lean side until the radiators are a little too hot for my knees and the bike is very crisp and responsive. Kinda like it is almost out of fuel. This is too lean. This condition will show up in about 10 minutes of riding and if not corrected will damage your engine. I then increase one jet size on the main and pilot until the bike isn't quite so hot. Going up I don't recall ever increasing more than two jet sizes to cool the engine down.

Why is your bike so rich out of the box? I think it is because the factories want to ship it with no concerns of being too lean and causing failures.

Why is a smaller bore engine jetted larger than yours? I can't say for certain but I bet it has something to do with them not wanting to be too lean.

Why is your bike continuing to foul plugs? I would suspect that your carb jets are rich and there is a possibility that your carb slide is too lean. It sure sounds as though your pilot jet is rich. Also, what is your mix ratio? If it is less than 32:1 that might have something to do with it. If you are at 32:1 or higher then I wouldn't suspect the mix ratio.

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
40:1 Kawalube

I have been running a 40:1 mix as has been recommended here more thanonce. I have been using the Kawasaki brand of 2 stroke oil and am going to switch to either the Amsoil product or the Mobil MX2T.

I'm not sure that I am running rich as I haven'
t checked it yet via the proceedure spelled outon Canadian Dave's site. I plan to do this. I was hoping to get a good starting point and take it from there. I thought the stock setting would be way different than what was recommended as a good starting point.

Thanks again for the info.

Mark

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
MarkWo said:
the settings for the KDX200 carb are way richer than the 220. Tell me how this makes sense. Smaller motor equals more gas to Kawasaki - I definetly do not get this one.

The 220 carb is 2mm smaller, thus creates more vacuum, so smaller jets are needed to make the same ratio as a 200's larger carb, thats all.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The 220 comes stock with a 33mm PWK and the 200 comes stock with a 36mm PWK hence the difference in jetting between the two.

"Does one clip position make that much of a difference?" Yup

Fine tuning the air screw is going to be important as very small adjustments will make a big difference on the 220. Try nothing larger than 1/8 turn adjustments when fine tuning.

Ideally to get the best performance from your 220 with the 33mm carb you'll want to try a different jet needle. Have a look at one of the many RB carb designs threads for jet needle recommendations.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Port timing between the two bikes is different. So is the static compression ratio.

Anything that effects the breathing capability/characteristics of the engine will likely effect jetting.

re: '...the plug fouls quickly..'

If you have no (other) mechanical problems then, 'how far off can my factory stock carb settings be that makes it run so rich out of the box?'?

Obviously rich enough to cause the problem. ;)

There is no reason to foul a plug. By 'reason' I mean that if the bike is in good mechanical condition, your jetting is 1/2-way right and the fuel and fuel mix is correct you won't foul a plug. I've run the same plug for well over a year. It never fouled. I was on more than a couple of putt-putt type rides during that time. The plug never 'acted up' let alone foul. Not a 4-stroke hiccup ever.

Different subject (kinda) but I just got back from a 3-day coast dune trip on a Banshee (it has two spark plugs). Most of the time was pretty slow cruising around. Plugs were fine.

But then, they've been fine for the past few years in that machine, too.

Point (in case you missed it) is that OEM jetting must be pretty much off, 'eh? :think:

So: 'Any comments on if I'm running rich with the stock set-up?'

Yes.

My 200 came with a 35mm small body PWK. Ron (RB-Designs) bored it to 36mm.

re: 'you need to read the plug if it is black and fouled then it is to rich go in the next lower number main jet'

If this makes sense to you as a reasonable approach to jetting, please do some more research before you start changing things around. At the very least ask some questions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep.

That's the purpose of the bore; to not reduce the volume of the carb when the divider is installed.

...at least, that's my understanding. Otherwise I suppose it could be bored larger.

Actually, I do recall reading something along the line of 36mm being the largest bore you can get out of a small body PWK. Maybe not.

In any case I suspect Gearloose suspects correctly.

Whew! That was a hard read, 'eh? ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…