randy nelson

May 10, 2003
hello im working on my just aquired 89 kdx and was pulling the rear wheel off to check/clean the bearings. change sprockets [13-50] per this site . any way i was wondering about the brake pins . i have the service manual and looked at buy kawasaki parts diagram . it shows both brake pins same part number . however looking at my caliper i dont have the same pins. 1 is the pictured pin at the rear with the allen head the 2 pin was not threaded from the front. it has a sort of pin arrangementwith a threaded end from the inside of the caliper and then into the brake caliper housing. i was trying to remove the wheel and i could not get it off. i thought that there was a bad pin as i could see no way to remove it and i tried all i could penetrating oil, drill for easy out, heat first with propane heat then oxy acet then drill out and punch. finally said what the heck and cut off with cutting wheel . so i got the caliper off and the wheel and looked at the pins again they are clearly different. so..... whaat do i do? the part nums for the pins are the same? will replacement pins be different or will they thread in from the front as the rear pin does now?

randy nelson

May 10, 2003
well i washed all my parts and can see things clearly now. the part i could not remove was a floater pin. how ever there is only 1 pin that removable [allen head ] not 2 . that doesnt square with the parts book or the service manual.there already is 1 floater pin close to the axle next to the brake line fittting. im confused so to pull the wheel i should have removed the 1 pin then removed the axle and pull the wheel down and out?

randy nelson

May 10, 2003
this is for the rear wheel .to remove it , it says right in the service manual to remove the 2 pins and remove the caliper. also another question is for the rear axle nut. should it be a lock nut? or is it supposed to be a castle nut used with a cottor pin . the axle i have is for cottor pins as holes are drilled in it. the manual however shows a lock nut

randy nelson

May 10, 2003
hello again . this is to confirm what i said. the rear brake caliper that i have is different than the manual. it only has 1 pin . i have looked all over different things, parts diagrams ect, i can not find this caliper anyware. it has parts from the caliper but it doesnt match i even took the brake pads off and sent a note to ebc with the numbers to see if they could give a model number. they have not replied. anyway i found a place were i picked up a lot of kdx parts and they had a rear caliper and mount. i called them and had them check and this caliper has 2 pins just like the manual. the holder for the caliper is also completly different. so im replacing the caliper and holder so i will match the manual and parts book now .

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Could you post a picture of the caliper?

Top Bottom